Floor support question

Reefchef

Supporting
Reaction score
Ok everyone, I'm working on the planning stages of my build. Im going with a 180 gallon reef tank, but the floor is over a crawl space. I had a company come out today, they quoted $3k to support the floor with a footing and jacks. I was considering going to home depot get some concrete deck blocks, screw jacks, and 4ft 4x4 post to support it. The tank will be running with the joist, so I was thinking of running 3 part across at every 2ft and then running 2 more under those 3. Hopefully this makes sense! I think that will be over kill, but please let me know your thoughts. Thank you all so much for all your help so far.

Attachments

• 20190225_164305.jpg
    20190225_164305.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20190225_164324.jpg
    20190225_164324.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
Do it. Sound like you've got it well in hand. Just make sure you've got enough "meat" left in the floor jacks to bump them up after a few weeks if the concrete blocks settle into the dirt a bit. When my house started to settle I made a little 2x8 header and supported in on 2 ends with a concrete footer and screw jacks. One thing to note, take your level measurement from the same spot every time. That way if there are any inconsistencies in the floor joist the same one's will be there when you start to irrationally worry about whether or not the floor is starting to sink (you will). A good level doesn't lie, depend on it when you'd swear something wasn't quite right. If you build it as described, it'll be MORE than enough to support the ton you're putting on top of it. Plus, if something does end up going wrong, you can call in a pro and pay the $3k to make it right.

Overkill it . Lumber and blocks are cheap . Get pressure treated and go to town . Cross braces, vertical braces , tie it all together .

You might want to read your homeowners policy before you proceed on this. Especially any references to structural modifications. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So today I finally got the supports done, I did them a little differently. I ran 3ft 4x4 across 3 joist at 2ft separations. I still may run 3 more jacks down the middle, so there will be a jack under every joist. The left colum isn't leveled yet, so don't laugh at me too bad!

As far as the home owners policy, I thought about contacting them but afraid of the answer!!! Plus I feel pretty comfortable with the way it's set up, I'll feel really good if I add the 3 more jacks.

20190318_164829.jpg

20190318_164835.jpg20190318_204505.jpg

Get like 8 to 12 people to stand there and see if it sqeeks :D
Im about 200 pounds and I sort of bounced on it and it didn't move squeak or anything!!! Each jack is rated for like 14,000 pounds so i think it'll be ok.

Back