Floor support suggestions

jstrick930

Market
Reaction score
These are the supports I've put under my 210. The two posts are 5' apart. Any recommendations are welcome. Keep in mind the stand that comes standard with this tank is built with 1x4s so I feel like this may be overkill.

7144e5c012205d9d7079ce3c3300c0ed.jpg
alt="" />
512290c34ebf5f76b7def2f1e1081102.jpg
alt="" />
506f3bc84999d5d14aad8e9c0fbdb377.jpg
alt="" />
6b6f68a9432166d60192aa0f960668ea.jpg
alt="" />
7e565e702914a46efc98e814229268c9.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not in any a way a structural engineer. But it looks good to me. How old is the home? Most "modern" homes are generally put together well enough to handle the weight. That being said, I almost put up floor supports under my 60 cube. Can't be too careful.

I am also not an engineer but I do have some construction/carpentry experience and I don’t like what I see. I hope someone more experienced than I will chime in to make sure. What concerns me in the support posts are located between the floor joists so that means the load is being transferred by the 2x4 or 2X6 that spans the gap between the header. The 2X4 or 2X6 is not meant to carry a load on its side like its mounted, hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the one on the left is already bowed from the load. I would be concerned that top board will just snap.

I did something similar are my old house but used a laminated beam to carry the load across several floor joists. Best of luck but I would want to have someone more knowledgeable than myself chime in.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
998335=57685-fix-sagging-floors-opener.jpg
>
998335=57685-fix-sagging-floors-opener.jpg
class="gc-images" title="fix-sagging-floors-opener.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

What I assume to be a 2x4 you have above the again assuming 4x4 would produce much more support if laid on the 2" side as appose to the 4" side. In other words, flip that the 2x4 and double stack it. Also, that's a load baring wall you have there and if the tank is going up against that wall, then you should move your 4x4 column out further to where the front of your tank will be. Lets assume the tank is 24" deep (front to back), I would double stack the 2x4 having them come out from the wall 24" (dept of tank). From there I would take the 4x4 column and support the where the 2 stacks of 2x4 ends. Load baring walls are just that, they are designed to bare the load of your house, so having a tank up against a load baring wall will require no additional support. The further away from that wall you go, the more support it will need at the furthest point which is why I suggest the column at the very end. Hope that makes sense.

just as Dave and Hnguyen has stated,flip the 2x over to the 1 1/2" side and double it up and it will be fine.the lumber has no structural integrity in its current position.
that being said,you really dont need anything in that area being so close to the triple

Thanks for all of the sound advice guys. I will flip the 2x4 as suggested. Just curious though about the structural integrity of the floor support in relation the the stand the tank sits on. They use basically 1x4s when they construct these stands!

Here's something I just throw together to give you an idea. There's more detail that goes into it but I'm not going to draw out a whole construction plan. As for the stand, not knowing how it was put together or how it looks, it's really hard to say. Keep in mind that most stands built by tank manufacturer use only 3/4" material, even for a 300 gallon tank. We as diy hobbyist go overkill with the 2x4 stand construction.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
998343=57686-uploadfromtaptalk1416861599757.jpg
>
998343=57686-uploadfromtaptalk1416861599757.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1416861599757.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I WANT ONE!!

Side note, you can break anything with the right amount of force.

Well I have water in the tank now and everything has been level for 16 hours. Going to check on it during my lunch break.

RedStang;998313 wrote: I am not in any a way a structural engineer. But it looks good to me. How old is the home? Most "modern" homes are generally put together well enough to handle the weight. That being said, I almost put up floor supports under my 60 cube. Can't be too careful.

Amazing how I can be wrong on such a consistent basis. My wife wouldn't be surprised lol! Sounds like you're getting some good advice!

Being a manager for a termite company the one thing I can't see is how the 4x4 post terminate at the soil. If they are wood to ground instead of resting on cap blocks it is a direct invitation for termite infestation. Never have wood to soil contact in your crawl space. Hope that helps

From what I see, you have two load barring supports that are pre-existing. One being the metal floor support. The other is the block retaining wall. From the looks of things, I would be inclined to say you have adequate support.

For a few hundred dollars, I'm sure you could contact a structural company to put their seal approval on it and what better peace of mind then that...

reeferman;998780 wrote: like i said in my previous post[and i am a carpenter],you dont need anything in there.theres plenty of support there already

agreed completely. nothing was needed

t

Here is what I would do. First, I would take down everything you put up. Second, I would set up my tank. LOL Seriously, it appears the tank will straddle the main beam from the homes construction. That beam rests on the block wall and has a jack support within feet of that wall. as for the floor joist, the tank will be sitting on the strongest section (within the first 3rd of the span). In my opinion, you need no additional support.

Having said all that, if you still feel the need, do as the others have said here.

{guess I should have read all the way to the end before posting. }

Back