Flooring and maintenance/wear-and-tear/damage

george

Market
Reaction score
For those that have their tanks in a finished area of their homes:

I'm curious as to the flooring material your tank sits on (i.e. hardwood, ceramic tile, carpet, vinyl tile, etc)? I'm especially interested in those with tanks on hardwoods.

What's the condition of the flooring? Has the tank done any damage over the time it's been there from splashes, salt-creep, etc? I'm not looking for tank busts or major spills, but the little seeps, creeps, and drips that can damage over time.

Do you have any protective devices, covering, etc between the tank and the floor? does it do any good?

Any thoughts of the "if you had to do it over" nature?

I'd post a poll, but what I really want is a bit more descriptive feedback so I can decide where and how I want my next tank.

Mine sits next to my wood floors and carpeted area. I cut the carpet and wood floor to expose the underflooring. I then sealed that with lanolium. I get the occasional splashing, etc from working on the tank, but I clean it asap. So far everything still looks good.

If I had to do it over, I would install a drain on the lanolium, so any major spills would go into the sewer.

I had my 75 on carpet for a year before moving it. It DID ruin the carpet when I moved the tank. It pulled it up from the baseboards also.

Mine is on the hardwoods (house is 100% hardwoods) .....which is good in a way for clean up..however, my first tank failed at the seam, which is BAD for hardwoods.....

But I have no salt creep on the floors at all....and if It gets wet, I towel it up..so it is actually cleaner around the tank..my hands are in there all the time..

I would Never put my tank on carpet...what if you want to change the carpet? you can't move a 2000 pound tank very easily...

Mine is on ceramic tile. And I'm glad. I'm constantly dripping water and had a substantial flood once with no affect to the floor. I thought I'd get some salt in the grout lines, but it hasn't happend yet.

One tank is on hardwoods. I have a carpet under the tank and puppy pee pee pads under the carpet.

There is no problems with this wood however, I have a tank on tile that has a problem and has leaked onto the hardwood which is going to require me to replace a few boards.

Back