floors and a 220g

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
I might buy a large(r) tank, 220g. I'm curious about whether my floor will support it. I don't know the dims yet, I think it's 6" long.

The floor is our main area and there is a basement below.

Is that a fine amount of weight or do I need to worry about it going through the floor?

Thanks in advance.

I'm hoping the wall next to where it would go is a load bearing wall...but not sure. I'll have a friend come over and check. I think the wall goes through in the basement in the same place so that would be a good sign.

I don't think there is cement between.

It is a load bearing wall...it's actually the outside wall for part of the house.

The space underneath is not modifyable...well not without getting rid of my pool table.

I guess I need an engineer minded person to take a look.

Alternatively, it could go into the basement.

well...1 us gallon is equivalent to 8.3452 lbs. so....youve got 1835.9 lbs of just water. then lets say 200lbs of LR....so thats 2035.9 lbs ....then the tank and stand, canopy...lets say 150lbs and thats probably being lite. so....2185.9lbs then...lets say you have your sump/fuge close by and for example sake a small one like...a 55gal. thats 458.99lbs so your looking at around ...................2644.89lbs of course your tanks and stand probly weight more and youll probably have a bigger sump and more equiptment......however with this number you need to know a couple of things....1) which way your floor joices run. because you want the tank to go perpandicular to them and cross over as many beams as possible. 2). need to find out what the load bearing max is for each beam...there is a specific number that is designated to pre constrcted beams...
and then of course ...if its by a load bearing wall or not.....in the middle of the house...absolutly not but against an exterior wall a possibility.

loren,
if you figure the wieght per sq foot of the tank, 200 gals should be no problem for a load bearing wall...

Back