Florida proposes ban on sale of imported lionfish

morganatlanta

Market
Reaction score
Florida is proposing a ban on sales of lionfish aside from those harvested from Florida waters

a>

I agree with them, other non native species on the pet trade should be ban as well, specifically predatory species, talking about snakes, and non native lizards, some rodents too, and some birds as well, I have read some articles and watched some documentals (I even saw myself some verdict sample) about the devastation that non native species create in an environment where they don't belong to, affecting the whole ecosystem and native species.
Another clear sample would be the freshwater "Hypostomus plecostomus (known colloquially as a sucker fish) "
This specie has been in the aquarium trade for long long time, people would release them in rivers, streams and lakes, this specie is hardly enough to handle almost freezing water and warm water as well, and the population of them increase rapidly, it will eat the same food that the native species need to survive, and thus affecting the production of "good fish" wich fisherman's harvest. JMHO, again, Jmho.

Isn't this proposed Ban a day late and a dollar short? They are already here to stay, what difference would it make to ban their importation now?

This would be like Georgia banning the importation of Kudzu thinking it would make any difference. Unless I am missing something.

Good idea! They have done this with a lot of freshwater fish, snakeheads pretty much a whole US ban, and piranha and rays are banned in most southern states where they'd survive if dumped.

Back