Flow at Night

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Do any of y'all reduce your tank's flow at night? I have a Vortech on my main tank and do program it to run a "Night Mode" and have for years. I'm using Tunze powerheads on my frag tank and was thinking about putting one or two on a timer to turn off for a few hours at night. Basically a mechanical version of what the Vortech does. I haven't really studied it at all to see if there's a good reason to go either way; I'm just looking to see what you guys do.

No, if anything I would increase it. After lights out is most polyp extension. That' when I broadcast feed and dose aminos.

Below are some pics I took a while ago on some of my polyp extension after lights out, 2,3 & 4 times what it is during the day on these corals.

BeFunky-collage112.jpgwhen I see the

Last edited:
I just have my pumps in the same reefcrest mode day and night. I might change it though because I can hear the water movement in my bedroom in the middle of the night when it pulls in air.
That sound is what puts me to sleep, and it gives me peace of mind when I wake up in the middle of the night. If I can hear water, I'm good, although that might explain the midnight bathroom call too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back