Flow Guidance

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Hey gang, I've got a 4'x2' standard Deep Blue frag tank and I'm not happy with the flow I'm getting right now and need to make a change. Right now I've got the return and 2 Tunze powerheads supplying what is enough flow in terms of GPH but it's very directional. Right now I have to direct the powerheads towards the surface to try and generate more indirect flow. If I angle them towards the center of the water column (or lower), the corals are blown all over the place. But the way it is now, there's not a whole lot of polyp movement on the frags. It's either too much or too little. I think I could solve the problem with an Ecotech MP40 but I've been looking at a Gyre XF330. The problem is that I don't know a whole lot about them. I see them on systems but as an Ecotech guy, I've never really tried to figure out how they work. So, if you've got one, does it sound like it might be a solution for my issue? (It helps that they're on sale right now at BRS and I've got 2 BRS gift certificates coming for Christmas.)

I've also been talking to a few of y'all and got turned on to the Jebao SW/OW series of wavemakers. I mean, they're cheap and I could get 2, set them up as master/slave and still be at half the cost of a legit Gyre. I like the idea of 2 instead of 1 so I can position them how and where I want but that also means more stuff to fool with. I resisted buying anything Jebao for a long time but now I'm a convert because the items that I have were cheap to buy and work really well. I might sing a different tune if these items aren't durable but I'm pretty happy with all of the Jebao stuff I've purchased. To make matter worse, Youtube suggested that I check out the Coral Box Wavemaker RN-1 and that looks like a possible option as well. I particularly like how they put an emphasis on a wide flow pattern which is exactly what I'm trying to get. As you can see, I'm not limited on my options but I am lacking information on which one might be the best direction to take.

If you are interested in the jebao/coral box brands you should also check out the cp series, it's a gyre pump with a jebao price but you won't be able to get them through brs. Ha now you're more confused.

The Maxspect‘s have perhaps the best Features for a gyre pump, but you pay more for them. I’m giving the Icecap 1k a run in my frag tank which is only 25 gal & they’re inexpensive so got 2 & can swap out.

I had the gyres and while the flow was great. I absolutely hated cleaning them. If you don't keep them clean, their performance drops dramatically. I'm not sure about the new 300 series, but the 200 series had too many parts to disassemble and clean. The MP's are just so easy, best decision I made. Flow isn't as great and I had to have 3 mp40's vs. 2 gyres, but not having to spend all that time cleaning the gyres so often and taking up so much time was worth it for me.

So... to sum it up: $1.1K in MPs vs. $500 in gyres, but less cleaning. Just my experience.

Back