Flow in a 14g BC?

liverock27

Market
Reaction score
How much flow would yall recommend in a 14g BC mix reef? I have a MJ900 as the return pump(230gph) and I also have a Koralia nano(240gph). With both of these my turn over would be 33.5x per hour in the tank. Is that a little too strong? I could take out the two pumps and replace the return pump w/a MJ1200 and that would give me a turnover over just over 20x per hour, but I would loss some of that due to the fact that I would want to add loc line to divide the flow into two on the return. Thanks.

Another option I could use is that I have a MJ400(106gph) that I could use a the return pump and then I wouldn't use the loc line and I could put the Koralia Nano in the tank and that would give me a turn over rate of 24x per hour. I'm just trying to figure out the best flow rate for the tank using what I have on hand.

I would think your fine bro...I try to be between 40-50 times the gallons but Ive found doing that in my first nano was just too much...JMO

That number was given to me when I first started on here and it always worked..I think if you have no dead spots and theres movement, which Im sure you have youll be good

Thanks Russ. I like the Koralia because it doesn't take up much room and puts off not heat in the tank I just wasn't sure if the turnover of 33x per hour was a little too much. What about if I put the Koralia on a timer to run with the 10Ks so that at night the MJ900 is the only pump running?

I left mine on 24/7 I always thought flow was good...ocean has flow in day or night...made sense to me

Makes since to me and that is one less timer I have to worry about.

Hey Drew,

I'm sitting up a new 14G Biocube and have a MJ900 as the main return. My temp with just that is 81.5 during the day with the lights on.

I tried a MJ1200 and my temp went up to 88 degrees!

I am planning on installing a couple 60mm fans in the back of the hood for more cooling / air flow.

I want to add a Koralia nano to the tank as well but was curious if you had any heat issues with your setup?

no issues with heat or did you install extra/bigger fans?

ChrisOzment;214713 wrote: no issues with heat or did you install extra/bigger fans?

WHen I tried a MJ1200 there were heat issues, but none with the MJ900 and the Koralia Nano.

Back