Flow in sump

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
Been doing some research on how much flow needs to run through sump.Reason being,my 45 gal sump,with intake 1st sec and fuge on the end,and return in the middle.Its got 2 drains coming in.For right now i got 1 pump running,after head loss,its pushing about 550 or so gph.Its about 3x tank vol.Tank is 180.Was going to put the other pump on, which would be the same,another 550.Way to much flow for the sump.After doing research, dont i want to match the skimmer flow.Im not using this for my flow in main tank.I even tried running a total of 850 gph.Just did not look nessasary.Im feeding my fuge with a MJ about 200 or less gph.Do i make any sense here.:huh:

Good question... This has been discussed a couple of times, with several different opinions.

Here is an interesting thread that may help you decide. Search wouldn't have helped much as this thread has a title that wouldn't have directly come up...

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79701">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79701</a>

Hope this helps...

Fishlips;874934 wrote: Been doing some research on how much flow needs to run through sump.Reason being,my 45 gal sump,with intake 1st sec and fuge on the end,and return in the middle.Its got 2 drains coming in.For right now i got 1 pump running,after head loss,its pushing about 550 or so gph.Its about 3x tank vol.Tank is 180.Was going to put the other pump on, which would be the same,another 550.Way to much flow for the sump.After doing research, dont i want to match the skimmer flow.Im not using this for my flow in main tank.I even tried running a total of 850 gph.Just did not look nessasary.Im feeding my fuge with a MJ about 200 or less gph.Do i make any sense here.:huh:

from your perspective I would agree.... that much flow through a sump is unnecessary. However....

Getting crap OUT of your Display is necessary. If you wave a cyclopeeze bar around or overfeed like I do, your not gonna want to look at it zooming around your DT for an hour or two, and 180 gallons is alot of water for it to be playing in.

I have a 215/225 gallon tank with an 80 fuge and i use 2 mag 12s for each return. While it may appear Im excessive when it is coming in to the fuge, it is not excessive getting trash out of the DT.

Just food for thought.

For reference I run an eheim 1262 return pump in my 75gal sump and it works fantastic for my 210gal dt. I am running a SRO3000INT skimmer and the combo works great.

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Tapatalk 2

CedzAquAddiction;874941 wrote: Good question... This has been discussed a couple of times, with several different opinions.

Here is an interesting thread that may help you decide. Search wouldn't have helped much as this thread has a title that wouldn't have directly come up...

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79701">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79701</a>

Hope this helps...[/QUOTE]It did.Good thread.

Edit: [QUOTE=][B]Russ-IV;874954 wrote:[/B] from your perspective I would agree.... that much flow through a sump is unnecessary. However....

Getting crap OUT of your Display is necessary. If you wave a cyclopeeze bar around or overfeed like I do, your not gonna want to look at it zooming around your DT for an hour or two, and 180 gallons is alot of water for it to be playing in.

I have a 215/225 gallon tank with an 80 fuge and i use 2 mag 12s for each return. While it may appear Im excessive when it is coming in to the fuge, it is not excessive getting trash out of the DT.

Just food for thought.[/QUOTE]Got me thinking even more.

After reading all of the above.Its going to be a matter of balancing it all out.The whole idea of the sump is to get the junk out of the tank.Not to see how much water you can get to run through it.But it needs to be fine tuned in order for the best results.All tanks and sumps and skimmers are not the same.Like someone posted somewhere in my readings.You got to look and see whats happening with the system running.You dont want junk flowing around 3200gph in your DT,Never making it to the drains.But when you are keeping high flow corals,thats what we need.So in order to get the crap down the drain{LOL}might need more flow through the sump.

Fishlips;874993 wrote: After reading all of the above.Its going to be a matter of balancing it all out.The whole idea of the sump is to get the junk out of the tank.Not to see how much water you can get to run through it.But it needs to be fine tuned in order for the best results.All tanks and sumps and skimmers are not the same.Like someone posted somewhere in my readings.You got to look and see whats happening with the system running.You dont want junk flowing around 3200gph in your DT,Never making it to the drains.But when you are keeping high flow corals,thats what we need.So in order to get the crap down the drain{LOL}might need more flow through the sump.

Difference between flow through the DT (power heads like mp40s or korelias) and actual drain/return. The only flow you will get in your DT from the sump are from the bulkheads.

If you want, you can set up some mp60s and use a little aqueon pump to return, but thats a lot of trash getting kicked up and swirling around.

my 2 cents, do as you want

In my DT,I will be using 4 EVO koralia 1400 on a rkl.Not crazy about them, but till they stop or start running bachwards, I will use them.

I prefer slower turnover through the sump and LOTS of flow in the tank. It's always a good idea to throw a koralia or two in the sump, to keep detritus off of the bottom. One obvious downside to slow flow through the sump is that detritus (waste) will build up even quicker. Or just vacuum it out every week or two.

I also prefer slow flow through the sump to allow plenty of contact time with the skimmer etc. i have a lot of flow in the main tank though.,

I have two tanks plumbed into the same sump. One is a 120 and the other is a 300 dd. The 120 has a much faster turnover rate over the 300. The internal flow in the two tanks is about the same and the rock stack is equal. It does seems that my 300 stays a little cleaner. Not sure if its the turnover rate but my gut feeling tells me that it is.

Both tanks have LEDs btw.

Im going to see if i can pump about 700 gph.For some reason after running a few days,550 going through sump,settled down.Maybe all the air is out of lines.But if not,i will leave it be.Just so all know, this tank is still in the builing stage.The pumps in DT are temporary.Thanks for all these good post.Its threads like this that make people think.

Fidofence;875458 wrote: I put a mp40 in my sump to add flow and keep the bottom clean

Ha, understatement. Ur sump is decked better than most ppl's main display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back