Flow rate for GFO reactors

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
Looking at a few different reactors and trying to decide if I want to run them off the return manifold or sperate pumps ? Any ideas to actual flow rates needed if I run them off the manifold? The self contained units with pumps are rated at 240 gallons an HR but all say to turn flow rates down with valves . Going on a 75 Gallon tank .

Looking at lifeguard aquatics med side flow

Or

Two little fishes 150

If you can find them the colbalt MJ1200 make great reactor pumps. Basically silent and great output. GFO flow rate you are only going to want to push around 100 GPH or less depending on the reactor size but the trick is to have something powerful enough to push it through the reactor. You just want to have the media tumbling just slightly where it isn't sticking together in one clump. Your honestly good to go either way though. What reactor are you looking at using?

If you can find them the colbalt MJ1200 make great reactor pumps. Basically silent and great output. GFO flow rate you are only going to want to push around 100 GPH or less depending on the reactor size but the trick is to have something powerful enough to push it through the reactor. You just want to have the media tumbling just slightly where it isn't sticking together in one clump. Your honestly good to go either way though. What reactor are you looking at using?
Lifeguard med side flow has the pump built in . The two little fishes phosban 150 has 1/2" fittings . They are within 10$ my cost . Both hold the same amount of media

Ah I wasn't paying attention I guess on that part. I've never really liked the two little fishes and I've never used the lifeguard. I'd recommend the BRS, aquamaxx or MRC reactor personally. I feel like those are all made much better. I personally like the Aquamaxx and MRC ones best myself. Any specific reason for those 2?

my choices would be BRS, two little fishies, and lifeguard+MRC last.

BRS and two little fishes are readily available. two little fishes are especially useful when you can't mount the reactor on a wall or somewhere safe. it can sit on the edge of the sump.

the quality of MRC is exceptional but hard to find parts in the event anything break and often replacecement parts are expensive

Ah I wasn't paying attention I guess on that part. I've never really liked the two little fishes and I've never used the lifeguard. I'd recommend the BRS, aquamaxx or MRC reactor personally. I feel like those are all made much better. I personally like the Aquamaxx and MRC ones best myself. Any specific reason for those 2?
I can get those two at cost ;)

TLF recommends 30-40gph flow rate on their 150 unit . I called , I am trying not to load up on pumps,heat,power consumption . Plus less failure points.

Back