Flow vs lighting importance

90gDreams

Supporting
Reaction score
So not really sure of everyone else's experience but I added 2 Jebao SW15 and removed 3 Koralia powerheads to my 90g. I made no other changes. In only a week my little Monti digitata is probably 50% greener than it was before.

This is the first experience I've had with wavemake type pumps and I'm pretty impressed.

I know to much flow can really ruin some corals, I'm surprised to see how quickly more flow can help.

Koralias were two 1150, and one 1600.

I believe the random flow helps significantly more than a constant directional flow. With your upgrade, not only you got stronger pumps, but you also are able to get random flow causing random water flow patterns that improves the gas exchange. This is just my personal opinion tho, based on my experience and what I've read on R2R and BRS investigates.

In all my tanks, I went with multiple powerheads running low power to get more random flow rather than a few to get the same gph output. This has proved successful for me.

I believe the random flow helps significantly more than a constant directional flow. With your upgrade, not only you got stronger pumps, but you also are able to get random flow causing random water flow patterns that improves the gas exchange. This is just my personal opinion tho, based on my experience and what I've read on R2R and BRS investigates.

In all my tanks, I went with multiple powerheads running low power to get more random flow rather than a few to get the same gph output. This has proved successful for me.
I had seen BRS video where they said WWC believes flow to be more important than lighting. That played into the decision to buy some better powerheads.

This digitata showed up pretty much browned out from ora. Otherwise it has looked reasonably healthy and slowly getting more green. I haven't thought much of it as the tank is still new and not stable. I had just tossed it into an order from LA to get free shipping. Just a few days of more flow was like hitting a switch and really surprised me.

jason fox said flow was #1 too (if i remember correctly)
but dang makes me want to upgrade the flow in my frag tank i currently have 4 cheapo sunsun powerheads in there...ive been thinking about getting 2 jaebo slw 20s for awhile but have yet to commit

I also believe strong flow is paramount to success in a sps tank (frag or display). I’m using 2 ice cap 2K gyres (run at 100% reversing gyre mode) and 2 420gph return pumps in 60-65g tanks meaning 2800gph/hour flow rate (24/7). I run this constant rate all day/nought long, only stop it for water changes.

I also believe good/strong lighting in the proper spectrum is equally important for success!

Back