Flow

Toste

Market
Reaction score
I have to core 40 fans for the tank. Should I set different flows for different parts of the day, or is it better to just have one flow? Also what is the best flow. I have LPS, sps, polys, torch. All babies.
What is the best recommended flow options

I look at 2 factors when deciding on flow. First, I try to make it as erratic and random as possible. You can do this a number of ways but playing with the intensities throughout the day would be helpful. When possible, I run my powerheads in "reef" mode or something similar that has an irregular pulse so the flow rate is always changing. I also really like random flow generator loc-line heads. They work great and push water all over the place. Second, I focus on getting everything to "move" and not so much on what the exact flow numbers are. There are recommendations about how many gallons-per-hour the flow in a tank should be and I used to pay attention to it more than I do now. At this point I use my eyes to tell me now I should set things up. There are plenty of articles and thread about flow but your eyes really are a great diagnostic tool.

I look at 2 factors when deciding on flow. First, I try to make it as erratic and random as possible. You can do this a number of ways but playing with the intensities throughout the day would be helpful. When possible, I run my powerheads in "reef" mode or something similar that has an irregular pulse so the flow rate is always changing. I also really like random flow generator loc-line heads. They work great and push water all over the place. Second, I focus on getting everything to "move" and not so much on what the exact flow numbers are. There are recommendations about how many gallons-per-hour the flow in a tank should be and I used to pay attention to it more than I do now. At this point I use my eyes to tell me now I should set things up. There are plenty of articles and thread about flow but your eyes really are a great diagnostic tool.

Thank you so much. I have been playing around with it and using the eye balls. The app has a few settings for Pulse so I have the flow patterns changing through the day. Thanks again

Back