food input/canon

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
i believe i saw this on Tank some years ago.

the idea is that on the return pipe, you add a T or something like that when you put food particle in there the return water will carry it into the tank to feed the fish. anyone know how this is done?

I'd love to see it in action. My 1st thought is water will come out both parts of the tee with out the leg being closed off and something injected into the stream.

The episode that I saw was that the hosts revisit the house where they had previously built a tank for the homeowner. (For dramatization) whenever the wife feeds the fish, she had to haul a 10ft ladder, get in it, and feed the fish. In the end of the episode the solution was a mechanism that you put the fish food in and then close the trap, then the water from the return line basically carries the food to the tank.

I've done it in the past, it worked pretty good, I was actually thinking about incorporating it again when I relocate my sump. I used a 3" reducer for the cone shape, and then another reducer down to 1", depending on how strong your pump is, you'll need to have the water level up a bit so it doesn't suck air.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Do you need to shut the return pump down before you remove the cap? Trying to visualize it, without a venturi type effect I'd think water would shoot out as you open the cap.

I had my tee installed on the intake of my pump, the pump sucks the food in and put it in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I made a quick drawing, here's how it works

Normal operation - Valve A, Valve B & Valve C are closed, Valve D is open

To Feed - Open Valve B, load food through Valve B, close Valve B
Open Valve A and Valve C
Close Valve D

After food dispenses, Open Valve D, close Valve A & Valve C to return to normal operation
Bypass.png

I made a quick drawing, here's how it works

Normal operation - Valve A, Valve B & Valve C are closed, Valve D is open

To Feed - Open Valve B, load food through Valve B, close Valve B
Open Valve A and Valve C
Close Valve D

After food dispenses, Open Valve D, close Valve A & Valve C to return to normal operation
View attachment 5326

Thank you for the drawing and explanation.

Back