Food Mix for Coral Research

blind1993

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys I know its been a while since I have posted but I need a little help from you guys with my research. I am currently involved with 2 collaborative research project (NSF Funded) between Ohio State U (Dr. Andrea Grottoli) and U of Hawaii (Dr. Rob Toonen). One investigates the ability of coral to acclimatize to future ocean conditions and the other investigates the effects of Ocean Acidification on coral recovery from bleaching and if heterotrophic feeding (zooplankton) can help mitigate those effects (if they exist).
I need a little help from you guys on the first project. We are currently feeding the fish (butterfly and convict tang) store bought food on a 3 day cycle (mysis, brine, and plankton) and Nori; however, we have calculated that to cost $3000 a year. Thus, we are talking about creating our own mixture to reduce the costs. We are looking for a mixture that is cheap and requires as little labor as possible while still being nutritious for the fish. Can you guys please post your homemade recipes so we can look through them and see which one would best fit our needs? Also, we are trying not to include things that are not commonly found in the ocean (like garlic) because that adds another variable to the experiment. Thank you guys in advance for your assistance.

I usually go buy a seafood mix from kroger (shrimp, scallop, squid) and blend it in with nori. I buy my nori from the sushi section, as its 10x cheaper than buying nori "made for fish" You could probably go to a local seafood shop (not a chain) and they'd likely donate raw scraps.

PS: Very interested in the results of the research. Could you tell us a bit about the set up? What size, types of coral, lighting, how you're testing future conditions and acidification, what you're feeding the coral, length of the project etc
I'm especially interested because of my senior project, they go hand in hand :D

Have you had a chance to flip through Eric Borneman's book "Aquarium Corals". It was several fish and coral food recipes.

Back