For the electonic wizards....amp conversion question

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
I need a digital controller that is capable of handling 9.5a @ 110vac so if I find one that says it's rated for 10a @ 220vac.....doesn't that mean it can handle 20a @ 110vac? It's been so long, I've forgotten.

Should be...

9.5A x 110V = 1045 Watts

10A x 220V = 2200 Watts

You could technically get by with a power supply that is rated for 5A x 220V, because that would be about 1100 Watts of power.

What are you trying to power?

Replacing an old thermostat in a chiller with a digital unit. The old one quit working so I figured now was the time. The chiller is rated at 9.5A @ 110vac.

porpoiseaquatics;929073 wrote: Replacing an old thermostat in a chiller with a digital unit. The old one quit working so I figured now was the time. The chiller is rated at 9.5A @ 110vac.

Ok, so it depends on whether the 220v thermostat can run at 110v.

Some devices, like power supplies, will either auto-switch between the voltage ranges, or they'll have a physical switch to flip.

Some devices may be hard wired to run at 220v, and won't work at 110v...

If you have a link or a model number of the 220v thermostat I can see if I can find any details on it.

Thanks Giuliano.....it does operate in both but they just rated the amps in one so I was just doting my "I" to make sure I remembered correctly.

Back