Foretold it was! Acrylic Silicon

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Just like everyone said the acrylic piece I used to cover the old top of my frag tank I built is pulling away from the silicon. I now have to figure how to either JB Weld the piece in while it's on the tank (which I think will be impossible) or drain the tank, remove all the frags and use the JB Weld. It is only slowly pulling away but still has a huge bead, about 1.5 inch of silicon left. Does anyone have experience in using JB Weld and have any laying around? Thanks in advance!

I was thinking that might work but I am afraid it will start pulling away at other parts if I don't take it off, scrap off the silicon and glue it back with JB Weld. But for now, the clamp might be the best bet to keep it from pulling off more. It's near the bottom of the tank so I'd need to get a plastic clamp. Might have to make a run to Home Depot!

Remind me how you have this arranged now. Is the old top now one of the sides of the tank? Weld-on or the TAP acrylic solvent might be a better solution.

Welcome home, Mark!!!

I'm sorry, but you'll just have to give me all those frags... it's the only solution.

Seriously though, if you need a loaner tank while you do repairs, I'm emptying my 30L. It'll eventually be a sump for my 90, but that's going to be a 3-4 weeks in the future. I can run it on over ~ let me know.

Thanks Linda...its fine right now. I just have to start repairing it soon. My frag tank is overflowing with growth now, it's amazing to see how much they grew in 3 weeks!

Must have been that fine care while you were gone LOL I have clamps some are plastic if you want to get together snd see what we can work out. I have a 15 and with Linda's 30 there is probably enough room to empty the tansk and fix it before it is an issue.

I have used JB Weld frequently over the years for different stuff.

Last use was about a month ago on a pipe with stripped threads and it worked perfectly.

JB Weld is extremely inexpensive and works great however, it is a two part binder/catalyst mix one part white the other black. Your finished mix is dark grey which could be unsightly if visible. The biggest drawback is it is hard to be "neat" with JB Weld.

If both pieces are clear I would use an acrylic epoxy that they sell at Lowes next to the sheet plexi.

I've got a large tube of weld-on 16 you can use. I'm right next to marine fish.

the ge silicone wont hold on acrylic,i've used plastic epoxy from homedepot its a 2 part that blends as you apply 5.00 for the tube the ones ive done are still going. sal

Thanks everyone...I might take you up on the weld-on 16 Jin. I'll send you a pm this week!

Update...

The acrylic is coming apart even more. I am going to buy some 2 part epoxy and some large clamps that I can use to hold the piece on while the tank is still up and running. It's just pulling apart at the bottom so hopefully I this will fix the issue. I am glad I sealed every seam inside and out when I built the tank, if not my floor would have been covered by 40 GAL of water by now. I don't have the time to take the whole tank down and re-do the arcylic piece with Weld-on.

Update to the update...

I finally figured out how to re-seal the frag tank. I used 1/2" PVC pipe cut to the dimensions of the inside of the tank and a ratched strap on the outside with some boards to push agains the acrylic where is was pulling apart. I used the Lexon Silicone that is for acrylic. I filled the gaps and sinched everything tight for 24 hours. When I took it off the seal was back and strong as ever. Hopefully this will be the only place it pulls away from (it was the weakest point on the original top). Time will tell again!

Back