Forsyth County Water..Chloramines?

torqued

Market
Reaction score
Hey folks, can anyone confirm that Chloramines are NOT present in the water in Forsyth county? I looked at their water report, and there is nothing on there about Chloramines, but Im not certain that is conclusive. I had had many municipalities use them, and I dont want to make the mistake of assuming I dont need the proper additional filtration to get them out (IE a GAC or something similar).

Gwinnett uses them. If you can do a free and total chlorine test that will give you a definitive current </em>answer. There should be some free but if any total shows up there's chloramines. Know anyone with a pool or have access for a pool test kit?

The bad part is even if none show up now it can change without notice.

From the last time I checked, they do not use chloramines. I tested with a brs chlorine / chloramine test.

I do not remember if I texted the tap, but there were none in my rodi water. I do not use a chloramine specific filter either.

Lawrenceville (Gwinnett) does not have them, unless they have changed something recently.:) Call and ask your water dept to make sure, numbers on the bill, ask to speak to the plant lab.

LSU_fishFan;1084263 wrote: I do not remember if I texted the tap, but there were none in my rodi water. I do not use a chloramine specific filter either.

The carbon block and DI resin, I assume, would remove the bulk of it. May want to test the tap to satisfy your own curiosity.

Raz0945;1084265 wrote: Lawrenceville (Gwinnett) does not have them, unless they have changed something recently.:) Call and ask your water dept to make sure, numbers on the bill, ask to speak to the plant lab.

I'm in Duluth and I've tested my water several times in the last 6 months and they've all come with total chlorine on the test strips. Do you think the strips are just picking something else up?

The TDS is also very low from the tap, never any higher than the mid 50's.

Your RO/DI will take out chlorine and most water depts use it, for the ones that use chloramines BRS has filters that take it out. Look on BRS site they will tell you about the filters.

Yeah I know they have filters for it, but they cost more, and I don't have any :). I do have plenty of standard carbon blocks though

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Regular carbon blocks or GAC do not take out Chloramine. For that, you need Catalytic Carbon. PM me for details if you want to get cartridges locally.

Jenn

Where I can get chlorine test kits?

Im very close to a water reservoir and I think my chlorine is very high and killing my RO membranes when the carbon gets used up but I cant verify.

EnderG60;1084347 wrote: Where I can get chlorine test kits?

Im very close to a water reservoir and I think my chlorine is very high and killing my RO membranes when the carbon gets used up but I cant verify.

Adam mentioned using a pool test kit. Brs sells them

In lieu of having access to a pool test kit you can also get test strips at Home Depot & Lowes. Most of the ones you find there will do multiple different tests, like 4 to 6. Just be sure it covers free & total chlorine. Cost is about the same as BRS so if your placing an order with them you can get it at the same time.

So I called the forsyth county water treatment plant....He said they only use Sodium Hydrachlroide (Bleach), and do NOT add chloramines to the water. I also dug up an article written about chloramines in reef tanks, and the long story short is, so long as you have a proper carbon blocks, the RO system will remove nearly all chloramines, and the DI resin will catch the remainder. Assuming proper maintenance of your carbon blocks and good DI resin, you should have no chloramines in your output water, regardless if the city adds them or not. You may very well go through more DI resin if they do add them intentionally, so for those folks, you may want to consider a special filter targeted for removing them, but if not, you likely will just use up more DI resin than you would otherwise. Thankfully in my case Forsyth county does not add them, so this is a non-issue.

here is the article i referred to if you care to read it :)
a>

Again - catalytic carbon will take out Chloramines, but regular activated carbon will not.

The RO membrane will... but you really want to take out as much Chlorine and Chloramine before the water hits the membrane because those compounds will exhaust the membrane very quickly.

And yes, whatever gets past the membrane, will be addressed by the DI but the membrane and DI are the most expensive elements to replace - an ounce of prevention with good prefilters, changed out frequently, is well worth the pound of cure in replacing membranes and DI.

Jenn

Back