Found 9 year Old Rock...Safe?

rhodan

Market
Reaction score
I had a reef tank 9 years ago before I moved to Atlanta....I sold most of the rock and I always wondered what happen to the 20lbs I didn't selll....Well I finally found it in a deep dark corner of the basement along with some other equipment. When I opened the box the rock was covered in a fuzzy mold. If I scrub the rock to get off the mold, would this rock be safe to put back in the tank?

Soak it in bleach then let it completly dry, rinse a couple of times and you will be good.

I can assure bleach will not hurt anything, as long as you let it dry out completly. I've never heard of a rock scraper product either, thats why this hobby is so much fun.

Not that I disagree...but Bleaching!! WOW seems drastic....I was thinking just the scrubing. But hey if it works.....

I would just chunk it and buy some more, but that's just me. Sounds like way to much work.:yuk: Not the I hate work, I love to watch others work.:up: :D

If there is mold on it you can bet there is mold in it. Scrubing the out side will not clean the inside. but its up to you. You could always take jefft's advise, which is the safest by far.

You "recharge" Purigen with bleach water so I would assume that it will not hurt anything...Now would I do it? Nope, IMO Not worth the risk for what amounts to at most $40.00 in savings.

Yea...I think I would just chunk it. Not worth all the trouble. Thanks everyone for your help.

Back