Found something pretty cool

bcavalli

Market
Reaction score
I found this Medusa worm when I was moving a few small rocks on the sandbed. I thought it was pretty cool and a little creepy. Lol

IMAG1465.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Yuck! I have read that these things can release a horrible toxin that spells immediate death to fish. The toxins don't seem to bother corals but are specific to kill fish who might nip at them. One can expect the same results if the worm gets shredded in a power head.

Urbanknight;1048693 wrote: Yuck! I have read that these things can release a horrible toxin that spells immediate death to fish. The toxins don't seem to bother corals but are specific to kill fish who might nip at them. One can expect the same results if the worm gets shredded in a power head.

I read about that while I was trying to figure out what it was. Thankfully I only run a Gyre so if there are more that shouldn't be an issue. I hope anyhow. Lol

They are spaghetti worms, they come in several different colors, just part of the clean-up crew. They are more noticeable when you feed a lot (same thing as with bristle worms). Sometimes they might irritates a zoa but they are only after leftover food, I feed very heavy and I have hundreds in my tanks.:D Holley

I have at least 50 fish, none have been harmed by them!

Raz0945;1048697 said:
They are spaghetti worms, they come in several different colors, just part of the clean-up crew. They are more noticeable when you feed a lot (same thing as with bristle worms). Sometimes they might irritates a zoa but they are only after leftover food, I feed very heavy and I have hundreds in my tanks.:D Holley

I have at least 50 fish, none have been harmed by them![/QUOTE

I must have messed up on the id. Thank you for the correction Holley! :)

Doug, I looked them up when I first incountered them to make sure they were safe! "Spaghetti worms" covers a lot of different worms but I have seen pictures of the Madusa worm that would scare me! One of the pictures was 18" long tentacles almost clear/white with a body as thick as my thumb about 4' long. As much as I have my hands in the tank, I like spaghetti worms better! :)

Cool. So I won't freak out if I discover this critter in my tank. I looked up pics of the Medusa Worm and it does look very different with one exception. There is a variety of Medusa that slightly resembles the spaghetti worm as far as tentacles, However, the body is different. Good find Brett and thanks for keeping us straight Holly! :thumbs::D

Raz0945;1048697 wrote: They are spaghetti worms, they come in several different colors, just part of the clean-up crew. They are more noticeable when you feed a lot (same thing as with bristle worms). Sometimes they might irritates a zoa but they are only after leftover food, I feed very heavy and I have hundreds in my tanks.:D Holley

I have at least 50 fish, none have been harmed by them!

OK since we are at the subject of this. i wanted to ask you . I have noticed mosquito larvae look like things coming out from my reef ( this happens at night) . Its not a lot. but few. they just seems to be there. I have not seen any problem with my fish or corals. Occasionally I have seen some fish try to eat this worm.

Back