Found these guys last night after we lost power for a couple hours

jaustin

Market
Reaction score
Found this in my tank last night when i we lost power and i was checking out the night life with my flashlight:

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/ickisgtp/?action=view&current=100_3250.flv">http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/ickisgtp/?action=view&current=100_3250.flv</a>

I had just moved the tank a few hours before and took out half the water and most of the rock. They look like baby shrimp and i do not have any shrimp in my tank. They sure do like the light! Anybody have any ideas?

Jason

Are you talking about the copepods and amphipods in the water column? Or did I miss something on the rocks....?

Concur. Those look like the pods we see in our fuge all the time.

Marc's weblogs are a work in progress and he learns as he goes along. That video was taken in 2004 - 4 years ago.

I remember reading one of his early logs when he was excited about a majano anemone splitting.

:)

They didn't look like that, they were not worm like at all. They had a little flipper tail and bug eyes, plus they swam backwards. I'll shut the pumps off tonight and try to get some close up pics.

Thanks for the posts!
Jason

**** Jason, I thought you were over exadurating today when you were telling me about those. Theres tons of them. Get a small container of your water and dump it in my tank. I would like to have those.

yeah man, i'm not kidding....there are thousands of those guys! I'll check out mysis shrimp onlind and see if that's what they are.

Thanks!
Jason

They are 100% Mysis shrimp! Cool, the pics on the net of a mysis shrimp swarm are helpfull! They are without a doubt the same cratures i have. I wonder if the fact that the power was out for a couple hours coaxed them out to swarm.

Neat, thanks for the "mysis" hint.

Jason

JAustin;200937 wrote: They are 100% Mysis shrimp! Cool, the pics on the net of a mysis shrimp swarm are helpfull! They are without a doubt the same cratures i have. I wonder if the fact that the power was out for a couple hours coaxed them out to swarm.

Neat, thanks for the "mysis" hint.

Jason

linda if they are mysis how did they get in the tank?

I recentley bought a leather and an open brain from my LFS, and i brought back some mushrooms and a kenya tree cutting from a friends tank in IL. I also added some button polyps from a friends tank here in valdosta. They must have hitched a ride.

I do not see them when all the pumps are running, when i shut off the pumps for an hour or so they come out.

One side note, i aimed the flash light on my open brain that's still adjusting to my tank (wasn't doing so good at my LFS, i'm bringing it back to life) and all the shrimp were swarming around it....it was hungry too, LOL.

Back