Found this under a rock....

good/bad/dun matter? it doesn't show well in the pic but it appears to have a mouth hole.
Very VERY rarely will a sponge be “bad”. They are just filter feeders and serve as food for some fish. The only time I have had anecodotal experience of it being remotely bad was a massive, and I mean massive, die off. A lot of gunk and debris got into the water column . Cause a little elevated nutrient levels but that about it.

The way I have the rock in this tank has it up high in the light. Do inned to move it or will it move itself?

Also, I forgot about this stuff. The Teal barnacle looking stuff pic here:
1000002175.jpg

The way I have the rock in this tank has it up high in the light. Do inned to move it or will it move itself?

Also, I forgot about this stuff. The Teal barnacle looking stuff pic here:
View attachment 91075
Teal paly… Kill it with fire without remorse or prejudice. That crap is probably worse, and IMO uglier, than blue cloves.

Teal paly… Kill it with fire without remorse or prejudice. That crap is probably worse, and IMO uglier, than blue cloves.
Oh shit! On it!... well as soon as that anemone gets off the rock.

Do I need to wear protective gear while doing it? From what I understand that's the case with polys or am I thinking paly... idk, I've got so much going on right now I have to stop and remind myself what day it is lol

Oh shit! On it!... well as soon as that anemone gets off the rock.

Do I need to wear protective gear while doing it? From what I understand that's the case with polys or am I thinking paly... idk, I've got so much going on right now I have to stop and remind myself what day it is lol
I’d would just remove and dry out that whole rock. I’m pretty many can attest to how impossibly tough and resilient those things are. Once they spread it’s next to impossible to get ride of them without going to the extreme.

But if you decide to try anything else to kill it, I would always wear a made and goggles when damaging/killing large amounts of paly or zoas. Don’t accidentally rub your eyes or something dumb like that.

So the RBTA isn't moving off of the rock the Teal palys are on. What should I do about killing this stuff and/or preventing it from spreading. It's not touching the rock behind it so I don't think it'll spread but idk. What do?

So the RBTA isn't moving off of the rock the Teal palys are on. What should I do about killing this stuff and/or preventing it from spreading. It's not touching the rock behind it so I don't think it'll spread but idk. What do?
Rubber band a solo cup or something of the sort over the nem with a small 1" hole in the top for light. The nem will climb up the sides of the cup after which you can remove it safely without damaging it. Should take a few days to a week at most.

As for the palys, they will actually grow over the sand in a sort of 'mat' like how GSP does its thing. Dry out the rock in the sun for a week, bleach them, freeze them, etc just DO NOT burn them because that will release the Palytoxin into the air. I do not know if heating damages/changes the composition of Palytoxin, but I know of a guy who was poisoned by boiling a rock with some palys on it so there is likely a risk.

Back