FOWLR advice

pkaugusta

Market
Reaction score
Im done with doing a 125 G reef. I am planning to do a smaller reef tank and convert the current 125 to FOWLR. Ive seen several FOWLR systems for sale here. Now I am in the planning phase. What type of tank is it going to be etc. I want to have angels , butterflies etc. Can I still keep some weed like softies ( kenya trees, xenia ) .
What type of lighting will bring out the best colors of fish (since these doesn't have to be in a wavelength good for reef)? The about artificial reef inserts (hmm I tried to explain to my relatives and families I have a living reef. but I noticed they are more impressed with plastic reefs :) ). Any recommendations on those type of inserts, where to buy , how to maintain etc. ?

I'd go with some cheap LEDs to light the tank. Something like ebay block box LEDs can be found for $40-60 a fixture and I'd do 3, assuming it's a 6' 125g. As far as artificial reefs, it's really up to you. IMO, they look tacky and way too fake for me. I'd rather have some rock for stuff to grow on and look more natural.

I have the mars aqua 165 watt off ebay and I really like it. They also have the 300 watt one which might be better for you. I keep a wide variety of corals with mine , but hey're dimmable so you can really do what you'd like with them.

Back