foxface

larrynews

Supporting
Reaction score
has anyone heard that foxface eat bubble algae? i heard something last night so i starting looking it up and i have found things that say they do. has anyone experienced it.

I have a common Foxface and a Magnificent Foxface, in two different tanks. Both tanks have had bubble algae in the past but are kept completely free by the fish.

Foxfaces are some , if not the best algae eaters. Even better than tangs. They will mow down everything.The caveat is that I have had REALLY REALLY bad luck with magnificent fox face turning to my zoas. Like I have had overfed 3 inch THICK fox faces destroy my garden. But I think its just my luck.

I had a desjardini in the past that loved bubble algae, but I think with any fish, its probably going to be hit or miss. Have you tried emerald crabs? I had experience where if the emeralds would knock them loose and any tangs would eat the free floating ones.

Foxfaces are heroic algae eaters, you just need to keep them fed afterwards because they will continue to graze and will sometimes get a taste for coral flesh. Emeralds are hit and miss, you've got to get females as males favor carrion and meat as they get older. It's fairly easy to tell, there are many ID images online for other species but it's roughly the same for them all.
I have heard very good things about Pitho and Strawberry crabs eating bubble algae, Nemo's just got a group of strawberries in and Reefcleaners has Pitho crabs.

I had a desjardini in the past that loved bubble algae, but I think with any fish, its probably going to be hit or miss. Have you tried emerald crabs? I had experience where if the emeralds would knock them loose and any tangs would eat the free floating ones.
The last couple of emerald crabs have been none workers lazy I guess.

Back