Frag broke in half.

Colt

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I got a frogspawn coral today from a colony. When I was inspecting it it seemed to be cut a little high but I figured it should be a problem. I was using coralcrete to glue it to my aqua scape when I felt it crack in half!?

So my question to you guys is have you guys ever dealt with this and how do I remedy this?

Since I was already using coral Crete I just formed it around the drag to hold it together.

I’m guessing all the answers are gonna be just wait and see though

Attachments

• 85704AF5-8491-43E2-9133-BCE1E633E7F5.jpeg
    85704AF5-8491-43E2-9133-BCE1E633E7F5.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 37
Ive actually had that happen when i was cutting one with a hand cutter. I made two frags and they both are actually doing fine.

50/50 - really depends on how healthy the frag was to begin with and how severely it cracked in half.
Its hard to tell but yours looks like its cracked in several places...

Where is the mouth? If its split down the center of the mouth you can either split it and will have about a 70% chance of both being ok. Or you can glue the base back and about a 95% chance it will be fine. If part does not have a mouth chances of that side living are pretty low but not 0.

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Houston, we have a problem. Based on the previous pictures from the 23rd, I'd say they were looking great and your current situation may no have anything to do with the cracked frags. It's possible the "Crackening" stressed them out enough and made them more susceptible to another issue. I wish there was something I could suggest that you do but I've never had a lot of luck getting euphyllia species to come back once they start melting.

(If these don't make it, let me know and I can give you a couple heads of hammer to make up for the loss. I'd offer frogspawn but I'm all out of that.)

They looked fine before I left for the day on Saturday. Didn’t get to look at the tank when I got home. I removed them from the tank and took a closer look this morning. Upon further inspection, @Rainblood was right. There was atleast 4 cracks running through the frag. It was completely split in half and had another v cut through one section. I wish I documented the cuts better before I got rid of it.

Last edited:
Back