Frag rack

jhutto

Reaction score
Guys,
Have bought a few sps frags. I need to use some of my egg crate to create a shelf up high into the lights to maximize color and growth. I have them on the bottom of tank now and want to raise them collectively. I have t-5s so I can move them near the top. Ideas of what/how to build it out? A picture?

Joe

I found it much easier and cost effective to go to Wal-Mart and purchase a couple of clear plastic soap dishes with the suction cups. Easy to clean. Easy to move. Stuff stays in it well because of the low sides of the dish (no knock overs by larger fish moving by quickly).

Just a suggestion... :)

In the alternative, I've seen many people glue the eggcrate rack to an old magnet cleaner. You can then just move the mag around to wherever you want and suction cups unfortunately do fail which is why magnets are more reliable.

Yeah...gotta agree...if you don't clean the suction cups periodically, they can let go a little too easily. I haven't had much trouble out of mine, but I had to learn the hard way to keep them clean. Probably depends on how long you plan to keep your frags on the rack too...

If I had a choice (and time), I would use the magnet like Jin and Charlie suggested...

there is a company that makes frag racks......they come in many sizes and are really inexpensive......however I forget the name.. someone else may chime in with th name

One tip you can do to keep your suction cups sticking is to use silicone. You put a lil dab of it on the cup and then press it down on the glass. It'll stay there till you need it to move :).

FutureInterest;195097 wrote: One tip you can do to keep your suction cups sticking is to use silicone. You put a lil dab of it on the cup and then press it down on the glass. It'll stay there till you need it to move :).

That's a good idea! :D

I know the soap dish is the lazy way out, but it was quick and painless for me and suited my purposes. Couldn't I just silicone the suction cups to a magnet to be able to move it as necessary without have to re-silicone every time I want it somewhere different? (like for cleaning purposes)

a>

Joe, I used a mag float. I have some extras that i picked up from Sal's bargain bin for that purpose if you want one.

The magnets are strong enough to hold on the thicker class on my 180.

I just used regular superglue to adhere the magnet to the eggcrate.

You can see it
showthread.php

dawgdude;195173 wrote: Im toying with buying a bunch of mags and making some nice mag racks to sell at the next meeting..........I could do custom sizes and economy models and nice huge ones.

how much would a small one run do you think?

dawgdude;195173 wrote: Im toying with buying a bunch of mags and making some nice mag racks to sell at the next meeting..........I could do custom sizes and economy models and nice huge ones.

How about some frag mags too? I have been looking for some of those to dress up the back of my tank.

~S~

Back