Frag Tank Lighting

Rainblood

Supporting
Reaction score
So a few of us are buying the low boys - what lighting is everyone planning on using?

How cheap can you actually go on lighting and still be able to grow stuff including sps/acros?

My opinion, you can go cheap but you usually get what pay for meaning good lighting isn't necessarily cheap. You don't have to spend a lot though, a 6-8 bulb T5 fixture used can be had for ~$200ish. T5's are really good for growing frags because they blanket the frags with uniform light, I think this is the best budget option for SPS/Acros. Another option is a coupe of used black box LED's, these can be had for a reasonable price and do a decent job.

This all really depends on your budget, the New Radon Gen 5's look great and I'm getting a couple of those to try out but they are pricey.

A $50 Halide setup - which includes a brand new bulb, fixture & ballast. You're not going to get that much light any cheaper.

I’d try something similar to your display if your plan is to eventually move stuff over. That way you won’t have any transition when you do move them.

Back