Frag tank start up

chemaholic

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I am bringing a 50 g low boy online to be a frag tank. I have had water in it about a week. I treated it with some Seed to get the bacteria going and I started on NP Bacto Balance last night. The water parameters look good.

I put some rock in the sump last night and the lights and heater are online as are the power heads. I know I need some bio load to get the bacteria going. I read in another post about using clowns for that or some other hardy fish. Is there another good option for introducing bioload?

I do not currently have lids on the tank, so what would be a good non jumping fish to put in there. This will be a bare bottom tank too.

You can use Fritz Fishless Fuel, which is an ammonia source to start the cycle. Using fish is doing the same but most consider cruel even if using hardy fish that COULD survive the cycle.

Fwiw,
The requirements for nitrifying bacteria is very basic, according to literature I’ve read.
Ammonium, a little phosphate and a very small amount of magnesium. Alkalinity and oxygen is also used in the redox reaction.

You can use Fritz Fishless Fuel, which is an ammonia source to start the cycle. Using fish is doing the same but most consider cruel even if using hardy fish that COULD survive the cycle.

That stuff looks good. I will see about giving it a try. I will toss a little more rock in the sump too so the bacteria has somewhere to live.

That stuff looks good. I will see about giving it a try. I will toss a little more rock in the sump too so the bacteria has somewhere to live.
Bio diversity is very important in a frag system, live rock is very important in a frag system. 50 limits fish bc of the 10” height. I love yellow eye kole tangs in frag systems bc they pick all day but with the 10” I wouldn’t suggest it. You can go with 2-4 clowns if small enough they should get along fine. Blennys will help clean the rock. You want poop for sure or you will have to dose NO3’s and that can just get expensive. You can also do some cardinals they don’t need a lot of UP room but the 48x24 will give them room to swim around. Sadly, we are both limited on fish as I setup 2 low boys yesterday. Already have a call into Glass Cages for a custom 96x24x14 or 16, so I can have tangs bc they do so well picking at algae. I’ll have these swapped by Jan/Feb when I have to go pick up a tank there anyways.

I was planning to get a lawnmower blenny, a wrasse, and some clowns. I will also get some turbo and astrea or trochus snails, and a variety of hermits. Hopefully with that and some live rock I will have enough diversity.

I was planning to get a lawnmower blenny, a wrasse, and some clowns. I will also get some turbo and astrea or trochus snails, and a variety of hermits. Hopefully with that and some live rock I will have enough diversity.
That sounds perfect!! Share some pics as you go.

Back