frag tank

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking to start a little 10g softy frag tank (just zoas or other polyps). I have a 10 tank with two incandescent bulb "slots." I was going to put some coralife 50/50 compact florescent bulbs in, add some sand to the bottom for a buffer and a HOB rated for 40 gallons...does anyone think this would not work or have any suggestions on how to improve my frag tank on the cheap!

again, its a softy tank, and I have no</em> plans to grow sps.

I may have been a little vague, I am just looking for some suggestions.

I do not want to have a big grow/harvest tank, It's just something for coral storage until I can make room for it in the display, or if something grows too big in the display, I can trim it and hold onto it for trading later. So growth is not too important, I just need them to survive, and still look happy.

Thanks for any ideas guys.

sounds pretty similar to my 30 gallon

Coralife light, Skilter (skimmer/filter)
Powerhead
Heater
Trickle filter with bio-wheel

i keep injured fish and frags in mine

a word of advice for aquascaping, leave a good sized area with low flow that can act as a nursery for newly glued/attached frags.

yea, I kinda do that...I just so happen to have it in the middle of the tank...which looks kinda tacky. oops. I know a little better next time. Thanks for the tip.

dawgdude;189040 wrote: I would stick with just the filter for flow in a tank that size for just softies. If I were going to do a softie tank, I would just buy some of the screw in pc bulbs from walmart that are the "cool daylight spectrum" and its 6500 k. They have a small amount of blue but you will get some GREAT growth out of that bulbs and those bulbs are only a few bucks a piece. The number 2 thing we had returned (#1 is the coralife timer power center) was the 50/50 screw in bulbs. They would blow after a few days for no reason.

wow, thanks. Glad I posted now. So just 2 6500k will do fine? The color I guess in this tank isn't quite as important, but I just was unsure what they needed for survival or little growth.

Back