Fragging mushrooms?

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
Sooo i usually place mushrooms down low in the tank and wait for them to grow onto the sand to easily pick them off and sell. But im making alot of changes to the rock in my tank and have a bunch of shrooms i wanna take of a rock. B4 i go all freddy kreuger on them i would like to know how brutal i can be without killing them. Do i have to get them all the way to the base on the rock? Or will they survive if i just scrape off as much as i can?

BRB, grabbing my notepad and sharpening my pencil.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Mushrooms for the most part are super hardy- there are of course exceptions to this general rule. Mushrooms can be cut off of rock, although you might get more mushrooms from the foot portion left behind on the rock.
I would use a very sharp scalpel and slice as if you were fragging them.
You might have to then chip away at the rock to remove any droppings left behind or use an alternative cleansing method for the rock.

For many mushrooms, you can go all Freddy Krueger on them and they will heal and recover. I don’t support it, and always try to get the whole mushroom in 1 piece... but yeah... many of them will get super pissed but eventually recover.

Mushrooms for the most part are super hardy- there are of course exceptions to this general rule. Mushrooms can be cut off of rock, although you might get more mushrooms from the foot portion left behind on the rock.
I would use a very sharp scalpel and slice as if you were fragging them.
You might have to then chip away at the rock to remove any droppings left behind or use an alternative cleansing method for the rock.
I dont really wanna cleanse the rock of them i just wanna conserve the ones i have to be replaced somewhere else later. The rock theyre on will prob eventually be removed completely

I've never had the patience to get one to release from a rock. I have cut them off and had them heal, and like Sherry says they can grow back from parts left. I usually take a hammer and chisel to the rock.

Sounds crazy but is the rock breakable?
When I did the tank transfer from my old tank to my current tank I had the same scenario. I was able to break the rock up with the shrooms attached . Only had a few unhappy ones. Plus made it easier to place them in the new tank.

I take a pair of coral pliers to the surrounding rock and try to break off the rock or at the very least some of the material the foot is attached to. You can scalpel them off, I do it all the time, but it takes a while before they can re-attach. If I were you, I'd pull the rock and see if they can be easily broken off. If not, use a razor blade and try to get some material off along with the foot. If you can't, don't worry, but you'll need a place where they can re-attach to a piece of sand or substrate.

Have you ever heard of Talenti Gelato? You can get the stuff at Kroger and it's very good. For our purposes, the clear plastic containers make great mushroom nurseries. I put a handful of gravel or busted pieces of coral in the bottom and let the mushrooms sink to the bottom and leave them in the tank for a week or so. Pay attention that they are on substrate and not the plastic side of the tray. Given the option, they always seem to attach to the smoother plastic.

Im trying to get these supermans off without killing them so you have an idea. They completely cover the side of 1 rock16132591837856200902082341491793.jpg

Back