Fragging, Sponges, Starfish, and other blathering-on!

curator

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">I got brave a couple days ago and decapitated my large toadstool about one inch from its base; it was about 4-5" tall. Everytime I frag a coral, I almost expect to hear a squeal of pain from it!</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">As a result of me frequently feeding the my bubble coral, it has grown significantly in the last month. I'd like to keep it a bit smaller so it will be in proportion to my tank. Can they be divided?</span>
<span style="color: black;">I'd like to frag my fungia, which is now about 4-5" wide. I've been told this can be done, and a wet saw was recommended. Does anyone have one that would be willing to let me come by to slice? I live just below Buckhead, near 75 and Howell Mill Rd.</span>
<span style="color: black;">I've had a small piece of foliose-type black sponge for quite some time. It never really did much until recently when Mark gave me a piece of his. Now mine is growing like crazy. Might this have something to do with cross-fertilization?</span>
<span style="color: black;">I've noticed that my cleaner shrimp antennae, for a few days before molting, get some red on them. Does anyone know what caused this?</span>
<span style="color: black;">Can anyone suggest a way to get rid of pulsing xenia? I slice them off as close to the base as possible, but they grow back. Someone has recommended scraping the base off, but these are on uneven rock surfaces. Any suggestions?</span>
<span style="color: black;">And lastly: I have LOTS(!) of mini-brittle stars that I'd be happy to trade, if anyone is interested.</span>
<span style="color: black;">Hey! My home computer is on the fritz – otherwise I wouldn’t have grouped all my questions/comments together!</span>
<span style="color: black;">Thanks,</span>
<span style="color: black;">John</span>

I've heard that ice works like it supposedly works on Nems but never tried it myself.

for the nem turn the rock upside down, or powerhead to the foot

OK..to summarize:
<ul>
<li>Can a bubble coral be fragged...if so, how?</li>
<li>Does anyone have a wet saw with which they'd frag my fungia?</li>
<li>Have lots of of mini-brittle stars if anyone is interested.</li>
</ul>Thanks,

John

Curator;266612 wrote: <span style="color: black">I got brave a couple days ago and decapitated my large toadstool about one inch from its base; it was about 4-5" tall. Everytime I frag a coral, I almost expect to hear a squeal of pain from it!</span>

<span style="color: black">As a result of me frequently feeding the my bubble coral, it has grown significantly in the last month. I'd like to keep it a bit smaller so it will be in proportion to my tank. Can they be divided?</span>

<span style="color: black">I'd like to frag my fungia, which is now about 4-5" wide. I've been told this can be done, and a wet saw was recommended. Does anyone have one that would be willing to let me come by to slice? I live just below Buckhead, near 75 and Howell Mill Rd.</span>

<span style="color: black">I've had a small piece of foliose-type black sponge for quite some time. It never really did much until recently when Mark gave me a piece of his. Now mine is growing like crazy. Might this have something to do with cross-fertilization?</span>

<span style="color: black">I've noticed that my cleaner shrimp antennae, for a few days before molting, get some red on them. Does anyone know what caused this?</span>

<span style="color: black">Can anyone suggest a way to get rid of pulsing xenia? I slice them off as close to the base as possible, but they grow back. Someone has recommended scraping the base off, but these are on uneven rock surfaces. Any suggestions?</span>

<span style="color: black">And lastly: I have LOTS(!) of mini-brittle stars that I'd be happy to trade, if anyone is interested.</span>

<span style="color: black">Hey! My home computer is on the fritz – otherwise I wouldn’t have grouped all my questions/comments together!</span>

<span style="color: black">Thanks,</span>

<span style="color: black">John</span>

I put some live rock under some super hot water from the sink and the xenia melted right off same with apaistia....

Fragging a bubble coral

splitting-my-bubble-coral-with-pics-dial-up-beware-49588-2.html

John,

Interesting link. Does it look like after making the initial cut and placing something (in this case a piece of bamboo) in the cut, that the poylps will eventally separate themselves?

Curator;267166 wrote: John,

Interesting link. Does it look like after making the initial cut and placing something (in this case a piece of bamboo) in the cut, that the poylps will eventally separate themselves?

I believe it was a function of both.

Back