Fragging zoas

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
Curious how everyone frags there zoas.

I know some use a razor blade, and others will just break the rock.

Thanks

Scapel (I have shaky hands so I try to stay away from the scapel) , coral saw or just break the plug or rock with a chisel and hammer. It really depends the situation and if I'm feeling lazy. Lol

I use a razor. The only thing to be careful is that you don't puncture any of the zoas. Most zoas don't contain any paly toxin, but some do, and if you are allergic to it, it's a big deal. Always better to stay on the safe side.

It's also important to note that you will start to feel sick pretty much immediately if you inhale it (allergic or not). Just lie down and most of the time it will go away in 10-20 minutes. If it doesn't or you have issues breathing, get to the hospital.

We use frag saw. PLEASE use gloves if possible when fragging zoas. We have had a couple of scares at the store. Also people can develop allergies to the toxin after being exposed to it often.

Jakub

Time & exacto/scalpel.

I usually let the frag grow onto an adjacent rock and then cut it once enough zoas are present. Makes it pretty error-proof as I'm only cutting the "runner" instead of trying to dig out a viable cluster of polyps from the plug.

aXio;1070316 wrote: We use frag saw. PLEASE use gloves if possible when fragging zoas. We have had a couple of scares at the store. Also people can develop allergies to the toxin after being exposed to it often.

Jakub

What Jakub said, I cut the rock/plug with a bone cutter (sometimes a cutting wheel on a dremel) and cut the zoa mat with a razor blade. Then I glue the chunk of rock/frag plug to another plug and have had great success with this method. Did we mention wear gloves and eye protection...

Another thing I do is I spread some superglue gel over where I plant mother colonies, then you can lift off the growth and cut wiht a blade. Easy to work with and because its a super glue base, newly cut frags glue to a new plug with minimal effort.

Just a tip for members who aren't aware. You can pickup the GEL superglue 2 pack for $1 at the dollar store. :)

Back