Fragging

hubble

Market
Reaction score
How hard is it to frag Euphyllia? I would like to frag my Frogspawn, Octospawn, and Hammer coral. Or even sell them to someone who will give me a frag from them. They have all grown to about softball size and I want to start over with just a frag from each.

Attachments

• 20191211_180908.jpg
    20191211_180908.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 38
The one in the center appears to be a branching variety and those are pretty easy to frag. Just use a band saw or dremel and cut the skeleton under the polyp head. You've got the polyp itself and then usually an inch or two of "flesh" that runs down the skeleton and then it's just bare calcium skeleton. Sometimes you can even use a pair of hand cutters to cut the skeletal stalk but that's a little more risky because it can break and crack and there's not a lot to do in order to control where it breaks. Heck, you might be able to break some of it with your hands.

I don't have any experience with the "wall" variety of euphyllia but the branching ones are pretty straight forward.

The one in the center appears to be a branching variety and those are pretty easy to frag. Just use a band saw or dremel and cut the skeleton under the polyp head. You've got the polyp itself and then usually an inch or two of "flesh" that runs down the skeleton and then it's just bare calcium skeleton. Sometimes you can even use a pair of hand cutters to cut the skeletal stalk but that's a little more risky because it can break and crack and there's not a lot to do in order to control where it breaks. Heck, you might be able to break some of it with your hands.

I don't have any experience with the "wall" variety of euphyllia but the branching ones are pretty straight forward.
Bust out the hatchet

Back