Fragging

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I need to frag my sun coral so that it can get more flow.

The tools I'm considering are an angle grinder (new diamond blade) or a Rigid multi tool dremel (diamond blade).

I'm thinking angle grinder, what would you pick?

When you say "angle grinder" I think of the same tool I use to remove metal, prep metal before welding.

When it comes to fragging, there's no way I'd whip out my angle grinder to frag. Perhaps you are thinking of a different type of angle grinder.

I've used my dremel several times. It's very controllable.
The one I have has a variable speed setting. That's good because it cuts down on the mess that it makes.

My vote is for the dremel tool!

Y-Not;1018296 wrote: When you say "angle grinder" I think of the same tool I use to remove metal, prep metal before welding.

When it comes to fragging, there's no way I'd whip out my angle grinder to frag. Perhaps you are thinking of a different type of angle grinder.

I've used my dremel several times. It's very controllable.
The one I have has a variable speed setting. That's good because it cuts down on the mess that it makes.

My vote is for the dremel tool!

Agree this would be my tool of choice with a cutting wheel.

This SunCoral is 6" thick in the middle!
The JobMax multi tool cuts very precise. I'm thinking that tip of this can be kept in a Tupperware with water which would keep the mess down.
I've used it for things including cutting trim molding off around corners when putting in hardwood floors, removing grout, small straight cuts in oak for hanging shelves etc.
I don't think there is a wheel for the Ridge Jobmax. The oscillating dremel, diamond blade is 3 1/2" and Cuts metal, wood...
I've got several plunger blades but I figured that wouldn't work as well.

I think putting a power tool in a container of water is going to drive the mess way up.

Edit: just looked up the tool you're going to use. 1: the blade is going to be way too big. 2: I wouldn't put that anywhere near saltwater.

Ringo®;1018505 wrote: I think putting a power tool in a container of water is going to drive the mess way up.

Edit: just looked up the tool you're going to use. 1: the blade is going to be way too big. 2: I wouldn't put that anywhere near saltwater.

Whenever I would do fragging, I would just pull the coral out of the water entirely. It's much easier that way.

Bassett22;1018510 wrote: Even a dremel with a diamond wheel will only go 1/2" deep or so into the coral. which wont be near enough to get through a 6" center you say the sun coral has.

This is easily achieved by scouring a line with the dremel then getting a few taps with a hammer and chisel or large slot screwdriver along the score mark, it will open it up like a zipper .
Another tip is to cut thicker coral from the bottom or back , then once u split the stone cut the thick top tissue with a razor blade to reduce lps tissue stress that the powered blade will add to greatly . The less damage inflicted the faster things heal .

Back