Freshwater tank for a 10yr old

morganatlanta

Market
Reaction score
My 10 year old son decided he wants a tank of his own. I think it need to be freshwater (and he does too). It needs to fit easily on his dresser (19"x40"). I'm thinking something between 10 and 25 gallons-- a low-tech, low light tank but with enough light for some super easy plants, and enough filtering capacity to survive a little neglect.

Any recommendations for the tank and filter? Is there a good reason to do anything besides a standard 15 or 20 starter kit from Petsmart with a HOB filter? Does anyone use an Eclipse system hood? Does it work well? Whatever we do, I want it to be super easy so that he can take care of it without too much parental involvement.

Any recommendations for super easy plants and hardy livestock? I'll let him pick them out, but I'll steer him towards certain things and away from others. Since he's really excited about it, I really want to set him up for success.

I think a basic set-up would be appropriate for this project. As far as plants go, I have some java moss in my classroom tank. It gets minimal light (somedays I do not even turn the light on-standard fluorescent). A golf ball size piece has grown to about the size of two basketballs in less than a year with minimal pruning. My Columbian tetras are regularly reproducing in my tank and the fry hang out in the moss. :) I actually need to thin the stuff out. If you decide that you would like to try some I can certainly give you some for free.

12 gal eclipse is how I started a while ago

Or I can hook you up with a used 29 with light and a small filter for cheap

Get the most volume you have room for -- a 20 sounds about right. If you can get some java fern and moss they do just fine in low light and keep the tank a little more stable. The starter kits are fine, but you may want to upgrade the filter to a marineland one, as the top fin (petsmart's store brand) tend to give out after a year or so IME.

The eclipse systems are awesome, the only drawback is that when the pump gives out people have a hard time finding replacements.

As far as fish choices go, for kids I like black skirt or serpae/red minor tetras. Those and similar shaped tetras seem to be really hardy. (Personally I also love longfin zebra danios). Avoid livebearers until the tank is stable for a few months, you'll have better luck.

I'd second the recommendation for a 20G. IMO, the kits are a waste of money as superior quality equipment can be put together for just slightly more without chasing upgrades. For HOBs, I'm a fan of Hagen's Aqua Clears. As far as low light plants... mosses, java ferns, anubias, and some cryptocorynes should be fine given minimal light and no CO2 supplementation. What fish does your son like? I'd suggest taking him to a couple LFSs (or check out pics at http://www.liveaquaria.com">www.liveaquaria.com</a>), have him pick what he likes, and then research them for compatibility and requirements (or post). A 20G actually offers a lot of choices for stock. Be sure to confirm that the dresser will take the weight of a full tank.

Have fun! :)

I second to not go with a kit. Spend more on good lighting and filtration. You two could build those if you are handy/have tools (great project for you both).

I remember my brother's 15 gallon metal frame tank I inherited. I bought an all glass 10 gal shortly after. It has been a lifetime passion. I am very happy for your son. I also hope that you will be patient and watch the wonder of discover he is about to undergo. I ended up spending my life in Science as a result, It's very powerful stuff, this hobby!

Good luck and have FUN!

Back