frog spawn torch question

mrmrburke

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey Guys I have what i think is a frog spawn torch, and it has 3 heads on one branch. 2 of the heads are opened big and flowing while one is curled in on its self almost to the point it looks like its "skin" for lack of a better word is tight. I have attached a pic because I'm terrible at explaining things. Any info will help me, thanks.

ps all other coral and fish are fine water levels are normal, and sorry for the huge picture i didn't realize it would be so big.

qIyuFZs.jpg
alt="" />

nah thats actually a piece of live rock my friend gave me, has great texture to it hah

Is the closed head sick or dying or is that normal...had it for about 2 months never got that curled in before just shrinks when the lights are off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks as if something is wrong. If it's losing tissue that heads is a goner almost certainly.

Diagnosing the problem will take husbandry practices explanation, regiment, test and test kits used with expiration.

sorry i didn't tell you guys but its been curled up for about 3 days lights on or off...just the one head.

mrmrburke;948788 wrote: sorry i didn't tell you guys but its been curled up for about 3 days lights on or off...just the one head.

Yes, it's not normal shrivel in the picture. Middle looks as if there's a significant hole and the entire lower right looks devoid of tissue altogether.... Something is wrong.

I recently added peppermint shrimp to take care of an aptasia issue about 2 weeks ago..the aptasia cleared up in 2 days and then about a week and a half later this head shriveled ...could it be the peppermint shrimp?

I just re homed a peppermint shrimp because of him going after my hammer coral so it's definitely a possibility

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

My peppermint shrimp ate my acan.
Is there any coral close that could have stung it? Or did any coral fall recently and perhaps hit it on the way down? Just thinking out loud. :)

It fell the other day when moving some zoas but it didn't hit any other corals on the way down, just landed in the sand and then opened fine within minutes...I'm
Kinda leaning toward the shrimp they always seem like they are on the prowl for food, since my aptasia cleared up in going to donate them somewhere else I think

Do you see anything that looks like a brown film around the shriveled head?

No brown film at all....just looks like the branch underneath the skin is almost poking through it's so tight...

If it does turn out to be the shrimp as the source of this problem, once they are removed is there any chance of that head healing or is all hope lost?

Mine did the same thing. It actually looks identical to your. One head was out while the other one was tightly packed into the branch... I moved it to a more flat position in the tank because one head was lower than the other. The head that was packed in the popped right out.... now I also have a hammer that is receded like this. But my other hammer frag is out and growing fine... not to hijack your thread but I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

It's a Hammer.

What is the next nearest neighbouring coral to the withering part? Maybe pan out a bit and take a photo showing the colony's surroundings.

While Eupyllia sp. are usually the winners in a coral war, it's possible that something else is stinging that section.

If it's failing, it's normal for shrimp to come and feed on the dead/dying tissue. While it's possible that the shrimp is causing the problems, they are usually victims of circumstantial evidence. :lol: The shrimp would probably dine on all the parts of the colony if it was simply preying on it, and not doing cleanup work.

So, a wider angle shot, and please post your water parameters, that might glean some more information to help you.

Jenn

JennM;949398 wrote: It's a Hammer.

What is the next nearest neighbouring coral to the withering part? Maybe pan out a bit and take a photo showing the colony's surroundings.

While Eupyllia sp. are usually the winners in a coral war, it's possible that something else is stinging that section.

If it's failing, it's normal for shrimp to come and feed on the dead/dying tissue. While it's possible that the shrimp is causing the problems, they are usually victims of circumstantial evidence. :lol: The shrimp would probably dine on all the parts of the colony if it was simply preying on it, and not doing cleanup work.

So, a wider angle shot, and please post your water parameters, that might glean some more information to help you.

Jenn

Thanks for your reply here is a better photo....the birdsnest was added yesterday so right now it is the closest thing to it besides the zoas but like I said it was added yesterday so I'm sure it's not the culprit

Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 5ppm

I don't gave mag and alk tests off hand but my friend who works at lfs tested it within a week and said all levels were good

neqe7ybe.jpg
alt="" />

Back