Frogspawn Losing Tentacles?

fierogtdude

Market
Reaction score
My frogspawn had been loosing tentacles for the last week. Seems to only be affecting 2 of the 3 heads. Also seems that new tentacles are growing as some fall off. Is this normal? Should I worry about it? Parameters are all is check.

2vbq4ye.jpg
alt="" />

Same here and I have other euphyllia in the tank that are completely unaffected. Lost most of a colony of frogspawn and nothing else is affected!

It isn't normal though. But it looks a lot like what mine did before losing heads. Tissue recession under the head, short tentacles (not opening fully).

I did not see any brown jelly on my colony

JDavid;986790 wrote: It isn't normal though. But it looks a lot like what mine did before losing heads. Tissue recession under the head, short tentacles (not opening fully).

I did not see any brown jelly on my colony

No brown jelly on mine either. Have you tried dipping yours?

Contrary to common belief euphyllias are quite finicky. Always have been a canary singling something's wrong before anything else in my tank.

DawgFace;986810 wrote: Contrary to common belief euphyllias are quite finicky. Always have been a canary singling something's wrong before anything else in my tank.

Yeah I ran carbon all week thinking that might be the case. Didn't seem to make much difference.

Do you guys have any emerald crabs in your tank? I have seen them clip the tentacles off Euphyllia before in my 100. Just like a barber giving a haircut.

No emerald crabs. Could be flow considering they are all getting about the same amount of light

Sure too much flow will rip off their tentacles. Mine do soooo much better in low low flow.
Are they under similar lighting to the sellers set up?

I've had issues with peppermint shrimp and some of my corals. Never saw them on my torch but once I removed them, my torches have been fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My flow was too high for my frogspawn.
I'm currently trying a new powerhead arrangement now the frogspawn couldn't be happier.
<!-- gcu-updated ame -->http://youtu.be/MkwrBuyLb5M<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

I do have an emerald crab but I don't think he is the culprit. The tentacles are inflated but are just falling off right at the base of the head. I did try putting mine in lower flow but it didn't seem to help.

Camellia;986830 wrote: Sure too much flow will rip off their tentacles. Mine do soooo much better in low low flow.
Are they under similar lighting to the sellers set up?

Agree. From what I've seen in my tank and elsewhere. The same flow we love because it doesn't let gunk settle stresses the soft tissue and either tears it up or the fleshy part receeds.

If you have clowns they may be stressing it. The only other thing that I know mine hate when not on par is calcium, magnesuim and alkalinity.

Just rambling though cause I don't know as much as oothers. &#128522;

fierogtdude;986860 wrote: I did try putting mine in lower flow but it didn't seem to help.

It's going to take a while for it to recover. Have you checked your Alk level?

Checked it yesterday 8.4. All SPS look fine so I think Alk is not the cause. Seems to still be dropping tentacles even in lower flow. I may try to move it to an almost no flow area. The heads look healthy, they just don't have many tentacles.

Back