From West Michigan to Atlanta

a4goulet

Market
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am moving from West Michigan to the Atlanta (Emory University area) in the next couple months and hopefully my reef tank gets to move with me. My wife starts her master’s program at Emory in August but will be moving down as soon as I find a job. So if anyone as the inside scoop to any open engineering position, especially at Lockheed Martin in Marietta, GA that would me much appreciated :D!! We are still not sure if we are going to buy a house in the area or move into an apartment complex. My fear if we pick an apartment complex I am not going to be allowed to have any sort of system <span style="font-family: Wingdings;">:sad:</span>. Does anyone in the Emory area live in an apartment complex that allows a set up? If so are you restricted to a certain size?

Thanks,
Adam G.

Welcome, recently relocated from the Midwest myself (temp housing was in Dunwoody area). Had to go through the "no tank" phase for a few months myself...painful. You should be able to do a smaller 8-30g all in one without even disclosing (ground floor), some places just have a Max size limitation, some want additional deposit...

Let us know what you find out and keep us posted along the way. Maybe start a moving to Atlanta thread with lots of pictures.

Welcome to Atlanta (almost)!! My wife and I had a 40 gallon system running when we were in our apartment on the upper floor, and didn't have any issues other than forgetting to turn off the RO unit. If you all are looking at houses, I recommend looking into Martin's Landing in Roswell. Puts you all about 5 mins from GA-400, 10-15 mins from Marietta. Once you get in town and you need some extra muscle, I'm more than happy to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey - if im going to sit on 400 for 2 hours, I dont want to spend 20 minutes getting to 400 :)

dball711;1071064 wrote: I'm not sure that's a selling point...

Hey now...that 5 mins on Riverside keeps you from sitting in 20-30 mins of traffic on Holcomb Bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello. And Welcome to ARC. I'm not in Atlanta but I do live in apartment with a 145 gal system.They have a size limit of 30 gal. But the office worked with when they seen how pretty it was.

Welcome here and welcome to reeftlanta! I had a 150g when I lived in an apartment, 3rd floor!!! but not all the complex have the same rules for the residents.

dball711;1071048 wrote: Welcome, recently relocated from the Midwest myself (temp housing was in Dunwoody area). Had to go through the "no tank" phase for a few months myself...painful. You should be able to do a smaller 8-30g all in one without even disclosing (ground floor), some places just have a Max size limitation, some want additional deposit...

Let us know what you find out and keep us posted along the way. Maybe start a moving to Atlanta thread with lots of pictures.

Thanks Dave, will do. I might have to start a thread if I end up moving the system down with us.

joseayes;1071075 wrote: Welcome here and welcome to reeftlanta! I had a 150g when I lived in an apartment, 3rd floor!!! but not all the complex have the same rules for the residents.

Fishlips;1071069 wrote: Hello. And Welcome to ARC. I'm not in Atlanta but I do live in apartment with a 145 gal system.They have a size limit of 30 gal. But the office worked with when they seen how pretty it was.

Thanks guys. Sounds like it will just depend on the apartment complex. My wife isn't going to be to happy when the first question I ask is "how big of a fish tank can I have?".

I am currently in the process of downsizing to a 40b (from a standard 55). I wonder if I should go a little smaller still to be on the safe side? hmmm.

a4goulet;1071078 wrote: You guys are getting me really excited for this Atlanta traffic!! ;)

The main reason I don't live in Atlanta. If I travel through Atlanta; I make sure that I have a passenger to utilize the far left left to bypass most of the clutter of the other lanes if during prime time of morning or 5:00 PM. Also, I make sure that my arrival time in Atlanta is around 2:00 to 3:00 AM on road trips where I'm just traveling through Atlanta.

Wannabee

Welcome! Yes, traffic sucks. Big part of the reason we're moving away. On the bright side, Emory is a great school! This is a great club though and we have some great stores in the area.

Back