Frozen brine and mysis shrimp alternative?

purplegorilla

Reaction score
So I have been feeding my fish, anemone, and etc. with this. I found it at the frozen food section at the Korean Supermarket. It is suppose to be eaten or cooked with certain Korean dishes, or even eaten raw. I figured it can't hurt for the price I paid for. It is about the same sizes as mysis shrimp that you buy, but doesn't cost as much. . I think I paid like $3 or so a jar. I have been using them on and off with the mixture of frozen brine for the past 1-2 yr.

It is packaged as food so I figured if human can eat it, my fish and coral can too? Besides, the shrimp looks to have a lot more meat than those puney brine shrimps. :1244:

Maybe someone who can read Korean or familiar with this can give me some inputs?

IMG_0391.jpg
alt="" />

I hear ya! The Frozen Mysis, whether in cubes, or bag, seem really thin. If I had to guess, being thin, or smaller helps give the chance for smaller fish to consume it.
My fish and Nem eat it okay. I usually place the cube in a small Ice Cube tray. Then use my Turkey Baster to put it where I want it. For the fish I just wave the cube at the surface, and they act like Piranha's.

Wish I could help with the Korean however, it's not my specialty, I'm still try to get a handle on this Appalachian American thing.

It does look a lot like the Seachem's NutriDiet Shrimp
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/NutriDiet_Shrimp.html">http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/NutriDiet_Shrimp.html</a>

After you open the container, how long until it goes bad? or do you freeze the remainder?

I keep the jar in the freezer. The jar has a double lid. Its been a year and it still doesnt' have any smell.

What are the ingredients. I am not aware of any natural preservation method that would give u a shelf life for that long once it's been opened. I'd be afraid of the oils and the acids they used.

Salt is a natural preservative that helps keep food lasts longer. Oil will become rancid after a period of time.

I see the ingredient list to the right in the picture.. looks like shrimp and salt... looks fine to me, wish I had a Korean market close by.

I have been using Marine Cuisine cubes from petsmart/petco as I have only had one fish. Otherwise I go to publix and get their seafood medley in the freezer section and freeze in to cubes.

Kinda ironic, I inquired the same thing with my wife (Korean) a few days ago when I saw a similar jar in our pantry. Since my wife's Korean is sketchy at best, no help there.

I think the sodium content is rather high. My mother in-law, whenever she visits from out of town, makes a killer broth based soup with it. :).

<p style="text-align:left">i would worry about the salt used it is probably iodine based like table salt depending on how much you feed i probably wouldn&#8217;t worry about it but you may wont to have your iodine levels tested every now and then

kf2008;794610 wrote: My mother in-law, whenever she visits from out of town, makes a killer broth based soup with it. :).

Sounds like I should let my fish starve and make a soup out of the baby shrimp instead. :eek:

Back