Fuge Questions

circlek

Market
Reaction score
I used a small RubberMaid container to create a small refugium for my 92. The fuge is fed from an adjustable T off the main drain line, and drains by gravity into the sump. The container problably holds only 2 or 3 gallons.

My first question is, is this safe? I drilled holes into the side of the container and used bulkheads for the drain lines. They do not leak. But the plastic is fairly thin, and I am wondering if these containers sometimes split open. The bottom of the container is supported, so I guess it is the sides that hold the load. Does anyone have any horror stories about these containers?

I know this fuge is too small for much nutrient export, but I want to put some Chaeto in it and grow some pods. I was planning to get a cheap light, put some sand in the bottom, and get some pod-infested Chaeto from someone. Is there anything else I need to do to create a little pod factory?

I was thinking of doing something similar for my 70 too as a quick fix for replenishing pods in my tank until I reqork my sump and get a better setup. If you have any pics of your design I would really like to see what you did. As well as any helpful tips... PM if you prefer at mailto:bobzarem@bellsouth.net">bobzarem@bellsouth.net</a>

Thanks,
Bob
Marietta, GA

I think that I would wrap about 4 rounds of duct tape one on top of the other around the sides to hive it more stability so the sides won't bust

good luck

I had a piece of glass cut for my rufugium, the guy that drilled the two holes in the side kind of chipped the glass where the holes are cut. Being that it was close to the side, I could see it cracking fairly easily. This was my fix to renforce the two (2) holes

I took some thin acrylic and cut four pieces about 3 inches square.

I then took a spade bit the same size as the holes on the tank, and drilled a hole in each acrylic square.

I then took silicone and spread over one side of one piece of acrylic to cover the one side, and placed it over the inside of the tank wall, and mated it to match the hole that was in the glass.

I then did the same for the second hole placing the acrylic covered in silicone on the inside of the tank, mated to the other hole.

I repeated the process on the outside of the tank, covering both holes, being VERY careful holes in acrylic and glass match up.

Basically, "sandwich" the holes in the refugium with pieces of acrylic slathered with silicone, (inside and out) making sure you line the holes up very well so your bulkheads still fit. Do it right and that will be the strongest part of your refugium

I have an 18 gallon rubbermaid as my fuge with a 1 inch return hole drilled in it with no problems at all.

Back