Fuge substrate

roundman

Market
Reaction score
Well I am about to install my sump and fuge pictures later. I have put a small baffle in the fuge so that I will be able to replace only half of the substrate at a time when needed and was wondering whether to use sand, mud (not sure about this), or sand on one end and mud on the other?
Thanks

Just sand would be fine. Are you planning on growing Macro Algaes also? If so make sure you leave room for them to grow in.

Like Bryan said, Sand and any leftover pieces of LR you have laying around. IMHO, I would do a DSB (4+ iches) in any fuge if you have the space...

I have put a small baffle in the fuge so that I will be able to replace only half of the substrate at a time

Why would you need to change the substrate in a fuge?

It was recommended and since it made no difference I put the baffle in. Since I am trying to figure this out by reading and asking questions. Other wise why would I ever need to replace the sand in a 4" dsb?
any suggestions

Sand will need to be added to at a rate of about 1/2" every 6 months or so. Sand breaks down and needs to be added to, but not replaced.

Xyzpdq0121;64678 wrote: Sand will need to be added to at a rate of about 1/2" every 6 months or so. Sand breaks down and needs to be added to, but not replaced.

So... are you saying you actually <u>lose</u> 1/2" of sand every 6 months from breakdown? The initial 4 inches: add that all-at-once at setup? Or gradually over time until you've reached 4" ?

Add your first sand bed all at once and the after 6 months your are going to add about 1/2" to get it back to 4"... This is a pretty bad example because a 3 1/2" sand bed is fine... The problem is when you started with a 3" sand bed, after 6 months or so you have a 2 1/2" sand bed in this is in the "no-no" range for a sand bed.

Also it is important to note that you should not add more then 1/4" to the sand bed at one time... Adding more then that could kill off alot of what you want in your sand bed by changing the depth too much too fast. So wait a week or so between adding 2 x 1/4" layers.

Just fill the refugium up around 10" of sand then you wont have to worry about it.It will last as long as the tank is setup.

Then it would be like a beach all water under the sand. I guess I could put a turtle in it then lol.

Back