Fuzzy Rocks

AquariumSchmo

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know why my rocks are fuzzy and if there is anything I can do about it? I don't remember when I setup this tank, but it has been at least a couple of years, and they have been fuzzy for as long as I can remember. It doesn't rub off. It is even on some of the empty exta hermit crab shells.
IMG_20190105_113602.jpg

It is slightly less than 1/4" long and mostly on areas that get at least a little bit of light (not in shady areas). There are a few areas that get a lot of light, but don't have it.

My first guess is green hair algae of some sort. It's not that? I can't think of anything though that doesn't rub off with a toothbrush. Better picture perhaps?

No, not green hair algae, unless there is a variation that can be white. I'm thinking maybe some kind of fungus.

I have some of this in my 2 gallon pico. i’ve also been wondering what it is.

There are types of filamentous fungi out there. Perhaps that's what this is. I'm not sure. I've seen this before in my tanks though and I'm fairly certain that snails take care of it.

I'm thinking this is very likely a form of hair algae. It quite possibly may only appear where conditions are optimum for it to thrive.

There are several major groups of algae, including- green/chlorophyta, red/rhodophyta & brown/phaeophyta.

Beyond these major groups are thousands of individual/different species.

Below is a link to a quick image search for 'brown marine hair algae'. See if anything looks similar?

It's worth noting that even exact species may appear slightly to somewhat differently in your tank, than in pictures.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...gws-wiz-img.......0j0i24j0i8i7i30.qoJP4LTX9yU

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I did some more research today and came across chrysophytes, which is a type of filamentous algae that thrives in environments that are low in calcium and are strengthened by silica compounds. There's not a lot of info on it, so not 100% sure if that's what it is.

I have a Salifert test kit for calcium, but rarely use it; however I bought a Hanna Checker for alkalinity a couple of weeks ago and started dosing equal parts of Seachem Reef Fusion 1 & 2 daily. My Alkalinity level was at 6, so I'm guessing my calcium has been pretty low too. I wish I checked the calcium level as well, but didn't until several days later when I got the alkalinity up to 8.0; at that point the calcium was reading 400. I have made it my mission for 2019 to focus on stable parameters; I plan to add a doser in the next couple of months.

Not sure on the silica though. I have a rodi system and the tds is reading at 0. Maybe it will help to add some PhosGuard in case there are any silicates?

I have three large trochas snails, but they just glide right over it. Should I try other types of snails?

On other forums that I was reading, someone suggested a blackout. Someone else suggested dipping the rocks in peroxide, but that's too much work. And one person said AlgaeFix Marine worked for them.

Knowing what you are dealing with is always good. Algae are there for a reason and it's often related to the availability of nutrients & light.

Adding substances/chemicals/drugs to marine aquaria is not advisiable, imho.

Limiting nutrient inputs may be better, and using other organisms such as bacteria may often provide good results with minimal consequences.

One method is carbon dosing. This promotes bacterial growth, along with high efficiency protein skimming, in order to export the growing bacteria along with their now incorporated nutrients.

Before considering such a measure be sure to learn about it first. Nutrient limitation is easy with usually small consequence, unless done to an extreme.

Can we call it WHITE hair algae? I've had good results with carbon dosing for algae issues.

My 2 gallon pico is beginning to get this stuff all over all rocks. I do a 100% waterchange every week and all corals are growing well. Nutrients are extremely low so i don’t understand how it could be “white hair algae”. I can’t really carbon dose because I don’t have a skimmer for this tank. anyone have suggestions?

My 2 gallon pico is beginning to get this stuff all over all rocks. I do a 100% waterchange every week and all corals are growing well. Nutrients are extremely low so i don’t understand how it could be “white hair algae”. I can’t really carbon dose because I don’t have a skimmer for this tank. anyone have suggestions?

I had that for a few weeks when I first moved from my 60 gallon to my 120 gallon.

Believe it or not - a sea hare at it all within 2 days and I've never had it come back. Not a viable option for your size tank but I believe it to be some plant based organism since the sea hare ate it. And there is no doubt he was eating it - he started actively clearing it within 10 minutes of being in the tank and you could track his movement through the tank. until it was all gone.

I had that for a few weeks when I first moved from my 60 gallon to my 120 gallon.

Believe it or not - a sea hare at it all within 2 days and I've never had it come back. Not a viable option for your size tank but I believe it to be some plant based organism since the sea hare ate it. And there is no doubt he was eating it - he started actively clearing it within 10 minutes of being in the tank and you could track his movement through the tank. until it was all gone.

Honestly i don’t know what to do at this point. I added more corals yesterday and it has already begun to grow on their rock plugs. I need to find a way to get rid of it. i have even tried a tooth brush and it doesn’t come off. I’ve never seen any sea hares for sale at my LFS and it would have to be really small to put in here.

@12scanlon If you figure it out, please let me know.

For a 2 gallon pico, it might be best just to swap out the rocks though. You could either try to find a good clean live rock or two or if you have another tank, cycle a dry rock for a few months, then make the transfer.

I'm considering trying Red Sea NO3: PO4-X, but I hate to go the chemical route. If so, I feel like it would be best to get a better nitrate and phosphate test kits first (maybe Hanna checkers). All I have at the moment for those two things is API. I'm wondering if nitrates and phosphates are even problem.

@lmm1967 Leo, can you think of any critters that might eat it that would be fine in a nano tank? Maybe a lettuce sea slug?

What size is your tank? I would consider a turbo snail perhaps - they seem to eat some algae that other snails avoid. A small sea slug to try - with an agreement for a store credit or buyback? I know I saw some fairly small ones at Premier over the weekend.

Back