Garlic

legalreefer

Market
Reaction score
I keep reading about people adding garlic to the fish's food. If my memory werves me correctly, which it normally does not, it helps the immune system and it is very benefical to them. What and how do apply it to the food. I am about to get a tang and would like to know. I am planning on feeding them marine seaweed. I currently feed frozen brine and phytoplankton to the tank. Will it affect any parameters or is there anything to watch for when adding it? Thanks in advanced.

Working with products like Garlic Xtreme is the easiest way to dose food. Amounts are measured in drops and there is no crushing, rubbing etc. Keep an eye on ph levels as after awhile, the dosing can cause levels to become more acidic. I use garlic everyday and feel quite confident in what it offers in return.

I never heard of garlic affecting ph levels. Interesting. Anyone else here of that?

Ares is right, according the the article</em> there was no benefit to garlic.

Of course people have been using it for years, and many people love it. For the relatively low cost of it (I use brightwell garlic) I will probably continue using it. And, if you use a concentrated product, it takes very little to get the effect, so I doubt any parameters are affected. I'm not sure about using fresh garlic.

I personally have witnessed different feeding reactions of anthias to garlic enriched food, as tehy seemed much more agressive eaters with it added. While the garlic might not contribute directly to their health, I think the better feeding response ensures that they get more food in a competitive feeding environment with fish that dominate like tangs and damsel-types.

Other products that you might consider that will help the health of the tang are vitamin enrichments like VitaChem and Omegas/Aminos, Selcon, etc)

I make my own food and I always add Garlic Guard to the mush. Before I made my own food I always soaked their food in Garli Guard to enhance the flavor.

Derek_S;324221 wrote: Ares is right, according the the article</em> there was no benefit to garlic.

Of course people have been using it for years, and many people love it. For the relatively low cost of it (I use brightwell garlic) I will probably continue using it. And, if you use a concentrated product, it takes very little to get the effect, so I doubt any parameters are affected. I'm not sure about using fresh garlic.

I personally have witnessed different feeding reactions of anthias to garlic enriched food, as tehy seemed much more agressive eaters with it added. While the garlic might not contribute directly to their health, I think the better feeding response ensures that they get more food in a competitive feeding environment with fish that dominate like tangs and damsel-types.

Other products that you might consider that will help the health of the tang are vitamin enrichments like VitaChem and Omegas/Aminos, Selcon, etc)

Very well said

Garlic has been used is Aryuvedic medicine for centuries. It's medicinal use in humans is well documented, so one can assume it could have a similar affect on other animals; afterall, we're not all too different.

Worst case scenario garlic is delicious!

+1 for Garlic Extreme. Great product.

I dont know about scientific evidence, but I do know a little about fishing. Bass fishing in particular. The scent or taste or whatever of Garlic most <u>certainly</u> stimulates feeding!!

I don't think there's any question that the fish can 'smell' the garlic.

I've tried 2 different food pellets (with and without garlic) they jump all over the one with garlic -- at least they are attracted to the food -- whether it benefits them or not is immaterial to me.

Back