Generator Suggestions

reefcharger

Market
Reaction score
Any good recommendations on emergency generators. Currently running about 1500W on my system. I read that I should double that.

Generac is the best brand, but can be pricey. Honda is also very good.

Yes if you pull 1500w at least double that. Generators list the startup watts as the power rating(as in when you start a motor it pulls more than double the watts for a split second) You want to make sure the running wattage is at least 1500 also.

I would look in the 4000-7500w range. Leaves a little room to run a frige and router as well as the tank :)

EnderG60;1098547 wrote: Generac is the best brand, but can be pricey. Honda is also very good.

I would have thought that would be the other way around, Honda <Generac.

I'm in the market too and I've been hoping to see a sale. Northern Tool can have some good deals at times as well. I've got to crap or get off the pot on this soon.

Wait for black Friday, buy a generator inverter, less noise and powerfull, they can run for long hours and they won't have the power peaks that it could burn and kill some of the sensitive equipment like controllers and small voltage items that work in your tank, they're costly too, but normally they keep a good reselling price if you decide to get rid of it one day.
Yes, you could get might be a lot more power from a regular generator, but a hell of a noise and power peaks will come with it, there's might be a solution for that, I don't know, someone else can chime on that.

I have one of these which will take care of tank and the majority of house. The girls can start it, too if i'm not home.

a>

anit77;1098549 wrote: I would have thought that would be the other way around, Honda <Generac.

I'm in the market too and I've been hoping to see a sale. Northern Tool can have some good deals at times as well. I've got to crap or get off the pot on this soon.

Generac makes generators, honda makes motors.

MorganAtlanta;1098561 wrote: Has anyone had a natural-gas powered one installed as a whole house backup? I'd be interested in your experience.

Heard great things about them and plan do get one when I build a house in a few years. BUT with the auto transfer and all that jazz youre looking at $10k easy for a whole house backup.

Back