Getting back in to it - Aquapod 12g - advice please

jtars10

Reaction score
Good Morning everyone.

I recently bought a used Aquapod 12 gallon from a member and have been patiently waiting to set it up. I put new bulbs in, two new fans, blocked off the two lower water intakes, upgraded to a MJ900 pump, and took out all of the other filter stuff. I live on the southside and have not been real impressed with blue planet, so i traveled to Pure Reef, and I was very very impressed. I bought some bagged reef sand and 11 pounds of some very nice cured rock. I set everything up the other night (will post pics today) and it looks great. I have zero experience with a reef tank. My biggest question is the livestock, what/how many inverts to start with, then fish then coral would you guys suggest? I am going to add a biocube skimmer to the back after the cycle along with floss, and some carbon, and chemipure (sp).

Thank you in advance, I will post alot pics. This is a great site by the way. !!

welcome to the madness. sounds like you are on a good starting path. patience is a big key. going slowly is another. i should have waited longer in my process i think. as far as CUC, i did 6 snails and 6 small blue legs (hermits) when i had my first diatom bloom. then i guess they all died after a while, one LFS said my first fish may have eated the hermits. i bought a yellow diamond goby to clean the sand. he has done great, plus he is neat to watch. when i started to get algae on the rock pretty heavy, i bought 6 red leg hermits and they have done a good job of knocking it back. as for corals, i have none and do not plan on adding any. just a feather duster or coco worm. it all depends on what you want and like. good luck with it. keep us up to date with your progress.

thanks. I am more patient than i used to be, also alot busier at work so waiting is not hard. I am looking forward to getting it going, all of you guys are an inspiration.

PICS TO COME
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
693005=32898-photo.jpg
>
693005=32898-photo.jpg
class="gc-images" title="photo.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

The live rock started to whiten hobble a few days now have a nice brown tint. The sand has a thin brown layer on it .. Everything appears to be looking good.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
694984=33026-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318469466.930638.jpg
>
694984=33026-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318469466.930638.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318469466.930638.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back