Getting back in

dine

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys. So it’s been a long time since I’ve been on the site as I had to step away from the hobby for a bit. Well I’m back at a point I’d like to set up a display tank in the new house and looking for a nod in the right direction. So here’s what I’m looking for.

Shallow rimless.
No longer then 55” (no smaller then 48”)
No deeper then 24”
No taller then 22” (a little flexible on this)
Low iron
Must be ULTRA QUIET

So I’ve run across both planet aquarium (have not find much on pricing) and waterbox. My previous tanks were all mix/match set ups so my gut tells me you’re paying a premium for these all in 1 kits BUT my search so far hasn’t turned up much in the way of high end rimless/low iron in these dimensions. Am I missing some other brands you guys would recommend? Are the setups on these decent equipment or would I be happier piecing everything together myself. I have the ability to build the stand so a deal on tank only would be fine.

Next, quiet operation. What’s the go to set up on this. I’m talking money is no object it must be as silent as possible here. My previous builds didn’t require this so I have no experience on this one. I couldn’t find much on the above set ups in relation to this.

Last, lighting. LEDs were just becoming a real option when I had my previous set ups. For a mixed reef are we at a point where these are the go to options now? What brands should I be considering.

If you made it this far, thank you! Looking to do it right the first time rather then buying the same equipment twice to get what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a 75 posted for sale in the threads that meets most if not all of your preferances

Are you talking about the deep blue? If so best I could tell it isn’t low iron glass. I could be wrong...?

Most of the potential noise is going to come from plumbing and pumps. Start with an overflow with three standpipes to implement the bean method or something similar. For a sump, Pro Clear Aquatic Systems has tubes for the water to flow down into which is supposed to make it quieter. And I don't have any recommendations for a pump, but most of the higher end ones should be fine. You can cut down on vibration by putting a rubber pad below the pump. Also, add a manifold for additional equipment, rather than separate pumps.

Welcome back!

I recently got back in a few years ago after being away from the hobby for 8 years... I feel like the most significant change was LED lighting... The blue they can provide just makes corals POP. I still run mostly t5 but the LEDs are there as well... In hindsight I could've just gone with some cheap LED units instead of the kessils and radions as I only use the LED units for the Blue and UV spectrum...

DC pumps are another innovation that will help you make things quieter. Your biggest noise concerns are the overflow... which Casey already helped with and then your pumps for flow. I've heard good things about the new AI nero pumps in terms of being quiet.

Thanks for the reply. I have priced out a waterbox setup and I am waiting for a couple quotes on a custom tank before I pull the trigger. In the mean time I’ve been searching for pumps. For now I’ve narrowed it down to dc/internal. My LFS recommended ecotechs s1 or a sicce. These are a little pricey but if they are the quietest that’s ok. Anybody have experience with them or have a recommendation on a different brand?

I have the jebao dct pumps for my return pumps. One of my setups is in our bedroom and I can't hear the return pump at all.

Thanks for the reply. I have priced out a waterbox setup and I am waiting for a couple quotes on a custom tank before I pull the trigger. In the mean time I’ve been searching for pumps. For now I’ve narrowed it down to dc/internal. My LFS recommended ecotechs s1 or a sicce. These are a little pricey but if they are the quietest that’s ok. Anybody have experience with them or have a recommendation on a different brand?

Have you looked at the Red Sea setups? Their REEFER DELUXE 450 fits most of your dimensions but it's 4" longer at 59". The 350 model is 47" and there are several options that are larger with the 59" length.

I've seen several of these systems up and running and the quality is top notch.
https://www.redseafish.com/

Have you looked at the Red Sea setups? Their REEFER DELUXE 450 fits most of your dimensions but it's 4" longer at 59". The 350 model is 47" and there are several options that are larger with the 59" length.

I've seen several of these systems up and running and the quality is top notch.
https://www.redseafish.com/

Yes these were just coming out when I was leaving the hobby last time and got to see a few in person. They seem like decent setups however 48 is really my max on length and I think Ive decided to go shallower then the 18 they offer.

Yes these were just coming out when I was leaving the hobby last time and got to see a few in person. They seem like decent setups however 48 is really my max on length and I think Ive decided to go shallower then the 18 they offer.

Sorry 55 not 48. Realistically the 55 is pushing it.

Welcome back, sounds like you’ve got things coming together.
I’ve been running a Sicce for a year, it’s very quite.

Have you looked at the Red Sea 450 listed in the sales forum? https://atlantareefclub.org/boards/index.php?threads/red-sea-reefer-450.1169801/
I have a Red Sea myself and am very happy with it. For the most part, once you dial in the overflow, it is VERY quiet.

Yea it’s very tempting at that price BUT if there’s one thing I’ve learned in this hobby it’s get what you really want the first time and that tank is a little taller and not as deep as I would like.

Back