Getting ready to start the fix

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
...on the cracked bottom of the 240 long.
First step is to source the glass. The current bottom panel (the one that cracked, though the stand was on an uneven slab) is only 1/2" thick.

My gut feeling is that it should be thicker than that. Anybody know what the standard thickness for an untempered bottom of a tank this size would be?

This will ultimately become the repair thread, and hopefully very soon.

Barry I repaired an old 84" 210 oceanic and the bottom was not tempered. The bottom thickness on that tank was 3/4".

Thanks. I plan to disassemble and rebuild the whole thing just because I won't trust the old silicone (and it is a pretty old AGA tank).

I'm thinking about building 90 degree jigs for the corners so it can all be clamped together inverted, and then the bottom sat in place. Dave, you see any problems with that process, since you've done it?

I would go with no less than 3/4"...think about things like LR pressure points. Next think about 1/2" glass breaking and flooding the house!

Yeah, Mark, not to mention the fact that the 1/2" bottom has already cracked... so far I'm finding it difficult to find a glass company that stocks glass that thick.

No problems at all . If you need a large table that is pretty flay let me know .You are welcome to come over and use mine.. I would remove the silicone in the corners and leave the silicone between the glass in the four vertical corners as there is very little if any bonding to occur there.
Add the bottom and re silicone the inside corners all at once so you have no hot/cold seams. Just my opinion

I'd considered that... less trouble to reassemble, and I plan on water testing it outside (in warm weather) for a LONG time before putting it in. I have to finish the basement room so this is gonna be a long project... unless I can talk Sandie into letting me have 4' of the guest room so I can in-wall it upstairs!

grouper therapy;478619 wrote: No problems at all . If you need a large table that is pretty flay let me know .You are welcome to come over and use mine.. I would remove the silicone in the corners and leave the silicone between the glass in the four vertical corners as there is very little if any bonding to occur there.
Add the bottom and re silicone the inside corners all at once so you have no hot/cold seams. Just my opinion

Dave, I may take you up on that once I get the glass... I'll need to drill it before installing it, and plus I'm gonna need to get ahold of some black acrylic to rebuild overflow boxes that the previous owner butchered. Where in PC are ya?

Step one:
Removing the rims... start at a corner and pull them off? You really can't get to the silicone up in there as far as I can tell.

Or maybe step one is take it to Dave's in one piece once I find some glass. :)

DrNecropolis;478798 wrote: I vote for Dave's.. Either way.. Im down to help!

Oh, I already voted you in.

I guess I'll search for a new piece of glass first and foremost. Eric is getting with a contact, but they don't normally keep thicker than 1/2" around. I'm open to suggestions on a source.

I am on 92 between macland and 120 almost across the road from the barbecue rest. that shuts down every other month. I'll shoot you my address via pm.

Back