Getting ugly

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
I did not experience this with my old 29g so I am unfamiliar to what it could be and the cause of it. Sand is getting dark brown spots and rock is getting some sort of growth 763362EF-241C-4288-B4A6-D0F839E3A8CA.jpeg21272AEC-2AC6-4FFD-BCEF-A7228CB4CD70.jpeg01A45C73-2CE9-4EAB-9B37-CB689A4E299A.jpeg

Congrats! Looks like diatoms to me and this is a good indication that things are progressing along. I promise you that you had some of them in the 29g but sometimes the diatoms get quickly followed by green hair algae and almost feel like one plague. In my experience, the key at this point is to do nothing drastic. You can run lights out and try a few more things but this really is a normal part of the cycle. I've found that taking drastic steps to deal with diatoms or GHA both result in a much longer cycle time.

Congrats! Looks like diatoms to me and this is a good indication that things are progressing along. I promise you that you had some of them in the 29g but sometimes the diatoms get quickly followed by green hair algae and almost feel like one plague. In my experience, the key at this point is to do nothing drastic. You can run lights out and try a few more things but this really is a normal part of the cycle. I've found that taking drastic steps to deal with diatoms or GHA both result in a much longer cycle time.
Awesome so it seems that I’m doing something right

I have seen people try all kinds of things with little luck. Every tank I have started using dry rock(marcos, caribsea etc..) has gone through an ugly period. some lasted 3 months some even longer. Patience has always worked for me
Thanks for the quick response I will wait it out

Diatoms, Cyanobacteria also sometimes called blue-green algae (a holdover from earlier taxonomy rules), green hair algae, etc. are ‘pioneer’ organisms that often take advantage of specific conditions which are a little more favorable to them.

As the system matures, the dominant species may change and we eventually reach a point where many are present, but none are really dominant except for maybe corraline algae, if we have the chemistry, lighting and filtration right.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are a multitude of organisms not necessarily visible to the eye which may influence this process. Viruses, bacteria, fungi, slime molds, worms, an assortment of arthropod types, algae, tunicates, sponges, corals, etc.

If you get something you can view these with, that works like a hand held microscope, you will be amazed! Check this out -

My theory is that Marco rocks, Caribsea, etc, have a certain amount of silicates naturally mixed in. Once those silicates dry up after a few weeks to a few months, the diatoms can no long sustain themselves. I'm finishing up cycling a new tank using Marco rocks and I am having dark brown spots as well. They're ugly but provide free food for a few snails and I believe even zooplankton eat them on a smaller scale.

Small 10% water changes bi weekly really help through ugly stages...I’ve been out of the hobby about 10 years but recently got back in ....my tank is going through the same stage...I remembered small water changes helped me before ...and they are really helping me through this one now. I really can see improvements

Small 10% water changes bi weekly really help through ugly stages...I’ve been out of the hobby about 10 years but recently got back in ....my tank is going through the same stage...I remembered small water changes helped me before ...and they are really helping me through this one now. I really can see improvements
Okay thanks for the advice brother

Back