GFCI power cords

sharis100

Supporting
Reaction score
So, just found out that you have to hit the reset buttons on the GFCI power cords when your power is interrupted in short bursts from storms. The APEX power strips reset automatically when power source switches over, but anything on a GFCI strip had to manually be reset. And of course the breakers are fine. Usually, we don’t lose power intermittently, it’s either on or off and this is not an issue.

yes that's the design behind gcfi oulet.

but curious mind would weigh the options of having gfci vs non-gfci.

for instance, gfci should be in place wherever there's a water source and to reset it, you have to do it manually. but what if you are in this hobby and you are gone for a day to work or on vacation. how do you reset your gfci outlet?

I quit GFCI outlets all together. I've run the majority of the outlets for my tanks and used GFCI breakers instead. I've got one existing outlet close to the tank and haven't made changed it over. Other than that one, everything's GFCI in the box.

@chuck and I were just having a conversation about this and he's got a lot more experience with it than I do. I removed all GFCI outlets because I had two that went bad in a short amount of time. I must have tore apart my light fixture a few time before I finally figured it out. The light wouldn't work, I replace something, plug it in, wouldn't work , repeat. I did test he GFCI outlet and it tested like it was working just fine. Eventually I plugged the fixture in at the work bench and it worked fine. When I carried it back to the tank, it wouldn't. I finally tested the GFCI outlet with a voltmeter and it was dead. I have not idea why I could press the little "Test" button and it would pop and reset without issue but once I replaced it, things have worked great.

Exactly my point, we had removed all but four GFCI cords from the systems. Now, we will be removing those as well since clearly they are a failure point if we are not at home to manually reset. The breakers on the other hand worked like champs.

gfci are great but they are very sensitive. Constantly tripping. I removed all of mine. If I have too much of a load it trips the breaker. Gfci are garbage. My point is that most people don't have enough power for the demand. But hey most feel it works. Very true but when your expensive lights, pumps, and heater don't have adequate power they will fail. But hey do whatever works for you. But when im running $4000 in lights and all the other stuff. Im glad I ran 4 2o amp circuits they run better. Hate to not be able to explain it very well. as for some do understand

GFI's were invented to protect people from getting electrocuted. They do a very good job of that, with some trade off's.

Caveat- Most of us know better than to touch energized electrical devices while also touching water. Some, unfortunately, don't.

I would not put lights or an Apex/controller on a GFI circuit, but that's just my opinion.

There are ways to protect yourself, without giving up reliability.

If you are unsure, consult an electrician or engineer.

Right to that. I did have a friend of mine here and hes a master electrician. Theres great reason for gfci. No doubt. But people can buy them not me.

Back