GFI, electrical questions

longboarder

Market
Reaction score
I noticed last night that the electrical outlet I will be using when I set up my tank is not grounded. I was wondering if I could replace the outlet with a GFI, but I read somewhere that I shouldn't use a surge protector if I have a GFI.

I thought about trying to find a 4 or 6 outlet strip without surge protection that I could connect to the proposed GFI.

I'm a dummy when it comes to electical stuff, but I can follow simple directions. I DO know how to turn off the circuit breaker at least.

Any ideas?

Actually the correct way to make a two prong outlet (non grounded) a three prong outlet without rewiring is with a GFCI . I dont see why using a surge protector with a GFCI would be an issue.

A GFCI still requires a ground AFAIK. If there's not ground wiring in your wall, you need to get that run, grounding is very important!

tebriel;216826 wrote: A GFCI still requires a ground AFAIK. If there's not ground wiring in your wall, you need to get that run, grounding is very important!
Thats not correct. A GFCI requires a ground to check operation but not to actually operate plus the NEC states that this is the correct way to go to a three prong outlet when rewiring is not an option. let me dig up the code number. I used to be an electrician and have done this many many times in older 2 prong houses. Unless the code has been altered on that in the last 3 years.

Basically a GFCI monitors the neutral and if it senses less coming back than going in (electricity makes a loop) then it trips because some is going to ground. By pressing the test button on the GFCI it shorts to ground and trips it. If there is not a ground on the GFCI then the test button will not work and you have to jump to a known ground to test but it will still work in the use its intended for.

My sudgestion would be to contact Rockdog or 46bowfinger who are practicing electricians instaed of listening to unqualified people. I would not even consider my self qualified because I let my license lapse a couple of years ago. The National electrical code changes every three years and there is a new addition out since I practiced.

johnr2604;216841 wrote: Thats not correct. A GFCI requires a ground to check operation but not to actually operate plus the NEC states that this is the correct way to go to a three prong outlet when rewiring is not an option. let me dig up the code number. I used to be an electrician and have done this many many times in older 2 prong houses. Unless the code has been altered on that in the last 3 years.

Basically a GFCI monitors the neutral and if it senses less coming back than going in (electricity makes a loop) then it trips because some is going to ground. By pressing the test button on the GFCI it shorts to ground and trips it. If there is not a ground on the GFCI then the test button will not work and you have to jump to a known ground to test but it will still work in the use its intended for.

This is the way I thought it was, but was not sure. If I am correct, a ground protects you in one way, and a GFCI in another. A ground diverts the flow, and the GFCI stops the flow. Am I understanding it correctly?

Longboarder;216863 wrote: This is the way I thought it was, but was not sure. If I am correct, a ground protects you in one way, and a GFCI in another. A ground diverts the flow, and the GFCI stops the flow. Am I understanding it correctly?
Yes this is true in easy terms. The GFCI operates independent of the ground. The reason GFCI's are required is because the human Body has too much resistance and will not trip a breaker. If a GFCI senses any variation in current then it shuts it down where a breaker needs an overload or direct short to trip.

Back