gfo in overflow style hob filter

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I have some phosphates I think due to trying to get some of my fish to eat certain foods. Can I run something like gfo (a phosphate remover for a canister filter) just tucked into a hob filter. The filter would be in addition to current filtration in my 30g. I do not intend to run long term, just temporarily while new fish (and I) adjust.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Thats the way I do it in my nano tank. I run a small amount all the time.

any special method or way to get the most out of it? is there such thing as too much, each "bag" I have is rated for like 100 gallons (and this is only a 30 gallon).

Any corals in there? Only corals (maybe just SPS) will really feel the shock of the GFO. Otherwise you may have to cut open the bag and put a corrected amount into another bag, or remove some and reseal the original bag.

It will probably help to take it out and knead it ever day or so to get the most out of it.

Don't they make phosphate removing pads? You could just cut one to size and put that in the HOB filter.

Yes they do. +1 to that idea. I dont know how they compare to the GFO, though, as I have never tried one.. Might be worth a try.

Also, they make stuff that can run inside a filter sock or something. Most of the HOB filters are set up to use charcoal inside them, so you could run the phosphate media inside the filter for a week or two til they get in check, then dump it out.

I plan to run a phosphate pad in my nano if it's needed. I'm hoping the abundance of macro algaes will make nuisance algaes non-existent.

the tank does have corals. it has a little of everything. I was recomended fluval clearmax, which was cheap, so I picked it up while I was there, will this stuff work (I think it was formarly called phos-x according to a google search).

this is just what I have on hand, and I'm not opposed to getting the pads if this stuff wont work properly.

also, is there any dosage recomendation?

and what do you mean by knead it? Stir?

Back